As IS what does it mean

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Re: As IS what does it mean

Postby eyoungren » 01 Dec 2014, 00:38

Just to answer the initial question…unless anything has changed since version 8.x, AsIs means "process everything as it is, don't change anything".

So, if it's RGB on import, exporting using AsIs means it exports as RGB. Nothing is changed.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby lpisanec » 05 Dec 2014, 10:05

eyoungren wrote:Just to answer the initial question…unless anything has changed since version 8.x, AsIs means "process everything as it is, don't change anything".

So, if it's RGB on import, exporting using AsIs means it exports as RGB. Nothing is changed.

That is only partially correct - things that change for RGB images:
  • color depth gets reduced to 8bit if input is 16bit
  • original ICC-profile name is lost, output is either DeviceRGB or postscript color array
  • rendering intent is completely ignored and lost
  • metadata is lost

For images in CMYK or Lab the same is true and more.
lpisanec

Postby les112 » 05 Dec 2014, 17:20

Thanks a lot Ipisanec for that information.
I do not know how to check what image profiles are being embedded or not embedded with the images in the exported pdf. I don't know how to find this information in Acrobat.

What I did notice is that the exported pdf image using AS IS in Quark 10.5 ( or 9.5.4.1) looks different to the exported pdf image when using color options with the setup defined as Adobe RGB 1998 perception. In both cases the input profile is 16 bits Adobe RGB perceptual.
What is strange, is when I import the pdf's back into Photoshop, the AS IS looks close to the original image (paste the exported pdf image over the original and erase an arbitrary path) while the exported pdf image with quark color managed with an output profile is too saturated.
Hence my original question.
But now I am more confused. Why does the AS IS pdf appear more accurate than the pdf with the color managed output profile?
les112

Postby eyoungren » 15 Dec 2014, 13:07

lpisanec wrote:
eyoungren wrote:Just to answer the initial question…unless anything has changed since version 8.x, AsIs means "process everything as it is, don't change anything".

• original ICC-profile name is lost, output is either DeviceRGB or postscript color array
  • metadata is lost

That's true, but I was more referring to color space versus color depth, profiles and metadata. But good to know.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby UtahLlama » 16 Dec 2014, 17:07

• metadata is lost

• color depth gets reduced to 8bit if input is 16bit this would have subtle visual change in color but be lossy in detail
• original ICC-profile name is lost, output is either DeviceRGB or postscript colour array this could potentially visually change the colour significantly
• rendering intent is completely ignored and lost again this could visually change the colour, its also one way meaning you can't add it back in later
• metadata is lost losing filename, lens data exposure and other useful data to trace back to the original image, also without the original ICC anybody in pre-press with just DeviceRGB in a PDF has to guess as to how to convert to cmyk

That's true, but I was more referring to color space versus color depth, profiles and metadata. But good to know.
DeviceRGB and CalibratedRGB are technically different Color Spaces, most RIPs would distinguish between the two and treat them differently, same is true for DeviceCMYK and CalibratedCMYK.

It is possible that when the original poster opens his pdf in Photoshop there is colour conversion at this point to AdobeRGB, (rather than just re-tagging (assigning) the DeviceRGB with the Working AdobeRGB).
UtahLlama

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 29 Jul 2016, 04:48

Hi,

I have checked the 16 Bit images are output as 8 Bit only.

In QuarkXPress and other page layout applications also. (e.g. ID)

Could you please share some files if you face any output issues, kindly mail to apalaniappan@quark.com

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)