Issue with Drop Shadow

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Re: Issue with Drop Shadow

Postby JamiePrincipe » 21 Apr 2015, 13:33

Soooooo I'm not sure if this is related to anything here or what, but I'd love to hear from someone on the topic.

Customer supplied PDF, needs to be resized/cropped in Quark (10.5) for newsletter output. Guts black ink, cover and center spread 2 spot PMS colors. I go to output for PDF, and I get a "PDF file is damaged and will output in low resolution"... red flag. Tried embedding the fonts, also used PitStop to convert the fonts out lines - nothing worked. Searched forums on this topic, seen "eyoungren" say Quark doesn't handle PDFs well and import the file as an EPS instead... simple enough. Import EPS file instead (which looks perfect via Illustrator), make my PDF, and I'm back to the dreaded drop shadow/transparency issues (see attached pic). So I've tried (1) my normal postscript output, (2) exporting with FLATTENED transparency, (3) exporting with NATIVE transparency... nothing works.

Thankfully the "old" Mac hasn't died on me yet... figured I'd try the Quark file WITH the PDFs and export to 9.1. Bring the file over to the "old" Mac, open it in Quark 9.3, and I'm able to create the PDF file perfectly with my normal postscript output.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY can Quark 9.3 interpret this PDF perfectly fine, and Quark 10.5 cannot??? I'd basically be screwed without my old Mac... what happens to me when it does die??? How am I supposed to get files to press in a timely fashion without stumbling across these obstacles. Is there something else I can try to get 10.5 to output a PDF in decent shape??? I'm clueless and would love to find a fix on this somehow...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 1.20.56 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 1.20.56 PM copy.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
JamiePrincipe

Postby UtahLlama » 21 Apr 2015, 15:55

can you post the original 2colour pdf somewhere.
Your screenshot looks like there is a green separation to an object with 0% values set to overprint, somehow/somewhere they are being reset to knock out taking the blue with it.
I'd be interested to know if InDesign handle this with no change?
UtahLlama

Postby JamiePrincipe » 22 Apr 2015, 08:36

Link to the original 2-color PDF in my DropBox (also have the EPS file in there that was converted from that PDF)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r007nq18jvka ... FCeia?dl=0

Again, Quark 9.3 can handle this process perfectly fine using the original PDF... Quark 10 will not import the PDF, and does not handle the EPS file properly when outputted for PDF.

I do have InDesign CC on my computer... will see if it can do what Quark 10 cannot.
JamiePrincipe

Postby MikeWenzloff » 22 Apr 2015, 10:30

The ZIP contains two PDFs produced from Q10. One uses the EPS, the other uses the PDF.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwotla901cc3p ... e.zip?dl=0

In both cases I used my normal PDF output profile that uses As Is color and Native Transparency. What output condition are you using (ICC profile)? What PDF output type?

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby UtahLlama » 23 Apr 2015, 03:51

I am getting the same results as Mike. Place the pdf, Exporting the pdf from10.5, composite- AsIs. Or Separations-In Rip Separations.
the result looks correct,.
Pitstop preflight detects transparency in the original but not in the quark Export but I'm not seeing any visual differences.
I did have to tweak my Export PDF options, compression settings to no compression or downsample on mono images otherwise Quark would show the progress bars to the ned and announce it did not write a pdf!?

Mike your pdf made from the EPS is no longer 2colour. Am guessing this has already gone wrong when the eps is made. If I Distill the EPS I get the same chunks in cmyk.
UtahLlama

Postby MikeWenzloff » 23 Apr 2015, 09:42

Utah--thanks. I guess I didn't shut off the CMYK plates on the PDF generated using the EPS file. Saw the spots and figured it was like the PDF version. Silly mistake and could have been a costly one had that been my job.

Thanks, Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby JamiePrincipe » 23 Apr 2015, 16:05

Thanks Utah and Mike... as soon as I catch a breather, I'll give your suggestions a whirl and see if I get the same results!!!
JamiePrincipe

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)