Please Help with Output Issues

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Please Help with Output Issues

Postby dbarnhart » 11 Jun 2015, 10:14

I use Quark 10 at work, and out of nowhere I've been getting lines in my projects. They seem to be the line from the a shape or text box. I've attempted to remove all drop shadow, as someone told me that could be the issue. I cannot get rid of the lines unless I spend a lot of time manipulating my files in photoshop or something like that.

Now when I PRINT them, they are fine, however, I also make quite a bit of web graphics. and the lines are hideous, and I want to get rid of them before I go crazy. Please help!!
Thank you,

Dave Barnhart
Kirkpatrick Advertising.
dbarnhart

Re: Please Help with Output Issues

Postby MikeWenzloff » 11 Jun 2015, 10:23

Hi Dave,

Does this happen in all files or a particular one? If all files, perhaps upload a small sample document. You would need to Zip it first. Else, if it only happens on the one document, it would be helpful to see it and all the resources used in it. That would mean colelect for output and Zip that up then upload to dropbox.com or the like and post a download link.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby dbarnhart » 11 Jun 2015, 10:27

It happens in most files as of lately.
I'm about to sound really stupid... but how do I upload the zip file here?
dbarnhart

Postby dbarnhart » 11 Jun 2015, 10:45

Alright, never mind. Here are links.. Like I said, everything almost always prints normally, but I cannot get rid of those lines.

Here's my process:
Save/Collect for output
Save as EPS
Distill(make PDF) at High Quality Setting
Occasionally bring into photshop to resize, make low res proof.

I notice the lines in the EPS before I even distill. I've tried saving directly to PDF, which actually works SOMETIMES, but not every time..

dbarnhart

Postby MikeWenzloff » 11 Jun 2015, 11:02

Below the reply box, there is a tab for Upload Attachment.

Without the files to reproduce I am just guessing. What I think I see in your attached images are stitching lines. If they are, in the PDF you should be able to zoom in and the lines do not get larger (wider apart). In general and at least to a high-res output device (digital printer, image setter/film, etc.) these lines do not print.

About the only time I save as EPS (or PostScript) and distill is to test something for a forum member. EPS to PDF will flatten whatever the contents are and so depending on how the file is composited, stitching lines are inevitable (if that's what they are).

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby UtahLlama » 11 Jun 2015, 11:29

Export to PDF directly from Quark, turn on native transparency in the options. EPS does not support transparency.
UtahLlama

Postby dbarnhart » 11 Jun 2015, 11:50

I'm not sure why I have been told to do the EPS-to-Distill thing. I assumed that it was just company policy or whatever, and no one was able to tell me why exactly we do it, or how to fix my problem. But saving the layout straight to PDF and selecting the Native transparency did actually work. Now I can just adjust it to the PDF quality settings that I have to and I'll be set!
Thank you!
dbarnhart

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)