Big project not exporting in 1 PDF: "could not create file"

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Big project not exporting in 1 PDF: "could not create file"

Postby striker » 23 Jun 2015, 07:03

Hi,

I have a very odd problem. I have a project in Xpress 10.5.2 (on OSX 10.10.3, MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012) with 128 pages containing text, TIF-images and some PDFs. When exporting the project as one PDF, I always get the error message saying something like "could not create the file" - the exact error message (in German) is "Die Datei "XXXXXX.pdf" konnte nicht erstellt werden.".

It doesn't matter whether I select PDF-X1, -X3 or any other setting. I also tried to set the compression settings all to "unchanged" and set transparency to be exported natively. Always the same problem.

BUT: If I export this project as single PDF-pages everything works just fine and I do not get any error message. This does work, but as you can imagine ist totally annoying, as with its 128 pages, it's not really handy, to have so many documents for it.

Any suggestions, what I could do?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Chris
striker

Re: Big project not exporting in 1 PDF: "could not create fi

Postby max.peter » 23 Jun 2015, 10:33

Try to export the layout by parts: first by halves, then by quarters and so on. See which part is generating the error.

Or you could print to a .ps file, then distill it to pdf. Make sure to check the "PostScript Error Handler" chekbox in the "Print" dialog box. During distilling, check the page where operation is stoped and error message is generated. On that page you might have somethink that Quark doesn't like.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby UtahLlama » 25 Jun 2015, 03:37

You can use Acrobat to create a single pdf from all the page files.
UtahLlama

Postby bunchable » 15 Jul 2015, 06:49

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem as you - any time I try to make a pdf of more than about 10 pages it fails!

I have a document of about 60 pages that I've made PDFs from before with quark 9 with no problem.

If I use quark 10 it seems to process all the pages but failed at the last moment (so it's not getting stuck on a particular page).

Did you ever find a solution??

please help if you can - Thanks
bunchable

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)