Problems after updating to Yosemite, using Quark 9

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Problems after updating to Yosemite, using Quark 9

Postby charlotte hall » 23 Jun 2015, 13:51

I am using Quark 9.3. I just updated my OS from Lion to Yosemite and now I am having 2 problems. 1) When I make pdf files that I specify to be CMYK files, I get a message from my press printer that the files are rgb files - has happened repeatedly. This happens whether I have used a Pre-press preset, or selected cmyk through options. My work-around has been to open the pdf file in Photoshop and save it as pdf from there - but that is very inconvenient. 2) When I try to move any element on a page by dragging it - the program crashes. Will REALLY appreciate any solutions.
charlotte hall

Re: Problems after updating to Yosemite, using Quark 9

Postby UtahLlama » 25 Jun 2015, 04:10

Quark9.3 is not supported to run on Yosemite.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27538&p=121400&hilit=prinergy#p121400
is a link that suggests a couple of ways to spoof the OS into letting you install the latest v9 but don't undertake this lightly as you may require a complete OS re-install, you should also read a few of the other posts about compatibility before making up your mind, personally I've had no luck at all in getting any v9 to run correctly under Yosemite.

To get out of your immediate problem, investigate Acrobat's Convert Colours command, select ALL Objects ALL RGB convert to profile (example FOGRA39), It is a lot less destructive than opening in photoshop to convert to cmyk.
UtahLlama

Re: Problems after updating to Yosemite, using Quark 9

Postby yakima » 09 Jul 2015, 02:39

Have been running Quark 8.5.1 successfully on Mountain Lion (10.8.5) and have just upgraded to Yosemite (10.10.4). Knowing all too well that this version of Quark wouldn't work I gave it a shot and what do ya know.. it launches! Resaves files ok and at first glance seems ok. Whether it remains stable or presents some other hitherto unknown quirks remains to be seen. But for now I'm happy.
yakima

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)