Export to pdf with pdfs in picture boxes

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Export to pdf with pdfs in picture boxes

Postby wombat747 » 30 Sep 2015, 07:11

Hi,

I do quite a lot of documents with picture boxes containing pdfs. And before sending them to print I inevitably export the whole document to pdf. Never caused a problem in previous versions but in QX10 it often, (about 30% of times) spits the doc altogether with a dialogue saying "Unable to create pdf" but not giving any actual reason.

Just maddening and at the moment rendering my upgrade pretty much useless. Anyone any ideas?

Did read advice somewhere to muck around with the Transparency settings but it has never helped.

And what is with the end of colour separated pdfs?

Have been a user since Quark 3 and never been this hacked off with an upgrade.
wombat747

Re: Export to pdf with pdfs in picture boxes

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 01 Oct 2015, 02:29

Don't really know about your current issue but working with PDFs, you have to meet all sorts in this kind of work. Are you checking any PDF you get and insert in your doc? It might lead to some issues in case the file has not been generated correctly. Just a thought.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.4 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 • Adobe CS5 =
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Oct 2015, 03:26

Hi Wombat,

that's interesting, are you creating color separated PDF, so PDFs where each plate is one black/white page?

As this is nothing we do not typically see, can you please elaborate on your workflow a bit?

Most people use composite PDFs and it is also what industry bodies recommend (aka PDF/X).

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby wombat747 » 01 Oct 2015, 03:57

Hi Jean Marie, when I say pdfs alone, actually it's not. It spat out one this morning containing eps pictures. It's not really possible to check all files you put into a picture box due to the many, many things that might be wrong with them. My frustration is, QX 8.5, didn't have any problem with them. And also that QX 10 gives no reason why it's unable to generate the pdf.

My solution when it happens at the moment is to open 8.5, re-create the document and export to pdf. It works every time.

In essence I'm really wasting my time using 10 at all. But since I've been using it for 3 months I now have loads of files that won't open in 8.5, so I'm kind of tied into it.
_________

Hi Matthias, my workflow involves mainly drinks labels which include a separation for putting foil on them. I used to make a pdf of the foil separation alone to send to the die makers; easy enough in 8.5, but the facility seems to have disappeared in 10. After more research it seems I can generate this in Acrobat itself, but it's an extra step and of course more time consuming.

As with the other problem, the solution is to avoid QX10 altogether and use 8.5.

The upgrade to 10 just feels like a waste of money!

Thanks for your replies
Iain
wombat747

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Oct 2015, 04:03

Hi Iain,

yes, QuarkXPress 10 removes the ability to create host-based separations, InRIP separations and Composite output is of course possible. The workflow via Acrobat that you describe is the best way to achieve this and you already found that.

It's not normal that QuarkXPress 10 doesn't create some PDFs and I understand your dissatisfaction. Can you enable and check the log please?

Thanks
Matthias
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:

Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby wombat747 » 01 Oct 2015, 08:57

%%[Distiller generating /Users/iain/Desktop/GLF LAYOUTS.pdf]%%
%%[Distiller operation succeeded.]%%

Hi Matthias, here is the log. Oddly, it's saying it has succeeded.

Regards
Iain
wombat747

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Oct 2015, 09:07

And just to make sure I understand you right, you are not seeing a PDF on your Desktop?

Can you run a Terminal command just to make sure it's not hidden? Go to Terminal and enter the following (return key after each line):
Code: Select all
cd /Users/iain/Desktop/
ls -al

(cd is Change Directory, so the next command works on that, ls is LiSt in a long format)

Can you see it now?

Thanks
Matthias

Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby wombat747 » 01 Oct 2015, 09:57

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:And just to make sure I understand you right, you are not seeing a PDF on your Desktop?

Can you run a Terminal command just to make sure it's not hidden? Go to Terminal and enter the following (return key after each line):
Code: Select all
cd /Users/iain/Desktop/
ls -al

(cd is Change Directory, so the next command works on that, ls is LiSt in a long format)

Can you see it now?

Thanks
Matthias

Sorry I don't know how to run a Terminal command. But I don't think it's hidden.

I get the dialogue box up saying "Unable to create the “/Users/iain/Desktop/GLF LAYOUTS.pdf” file."

Thanks
Iain
wombat747

Postby wombat747 » 01 Oct 2015, 10:03

Incidentally, I discovered today I can get a pdf by exporting the same document to eps and going through Distiller.

But this isn't much use for multi page documents.

Iain
wombat747

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)