TempPDF files

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

TempPDF files

Postby JWilheim » 15 Oct 2015, 05:47

We are running QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 in a Windows environment.
If you open a Quark Project (.qxp) that contains picture boxes with PDFs in them, as soon as you click on File --> Print, Quark creates a file named "tempPDF###" with a unique number for each and every PDF in the Quark Project, in the folder C:\Users\(usrename)\AppData\Local\Temp\###\jaws####, such as: C:\Users\JSmith\AppData\Local\Temp\47\jaws1964\tempPDF317
These files are not large. But if the Project has very many PDFs in it, such as a 120-page document, this can result in hundreds or thousands of such files and it can take quite a long time for each one to be created.
In addition, in at least one instance, Quark somehow got in a loop and kept creating duplicate files for each PDF, each with a unique number after "tempPDF," until there were more than 36,000 of them, occupying 9 GB of space!
Does anyone know why or how Quark creates these "tempPDF###" files?
And has anyone seen the loop behavior that I described, that resulted in duplicate files for each PDF?
JWilheim

Re: TempPDF files

Postby JWilheim » 15 Oct 2015, 10:26

I did some experiments and found out the following:
If you make a new QXP document, draw a picture box, do Get Picture and choose a PDF that is on your local computer, the TempPDF#### file is NOT created in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp\###\jaws####.
But if you do the same but choose a PDF that is on a computer elsewhere on the network, such as a file server, the TempPDF#### file IS created in C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Temp\###\jaws####.
I suspect that Quark is trying to make things easier if/when you print the document, because it now has copies of each PDF in the document available locally, rather than having to get the content of each over the network while printing.
When you open a document that has PDFs in it, it does not create the TempPDF#### files until you do File-->Print.
How the user I mentioned in the original post got the process into a loop, so it created 36,000 TempPDF#### files when there were approximately 2,100 PDFs in the document, remains a mystery.
JWilheim

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 15 Oct 2015, 23:32

You are right. QuarkXPress does that to make sure PDF files on network location are copied locally before printing. If you lose the network connection that these files may not be available causing printing to fail. However, it should not be stuck in a loop. can you share a file that consistently does that?
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby max.peter » 16 Oct 2015, 05:01

I was curious enough last night (after reading this post) and I've checked the same location on a Win 7/64 system with XPress v. 8.5.1. It saves similar temp files duplicating PFSs inserted in a document.
BUT the interesting thing is that all work is done local. There are no files located on a server or in the cloud, but on local harddisk. :?
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)