Quark 9 files print bigger dimensions than specified

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Quark 9 files print bigger dimensions than specified

Postby Bernhardt » 22 Oct 2015, 12:01

Hi Quark forum
This is my first post and hope someone out there can help me. I have Quark 9.5.4.1 on my Mac Pro [Snow Leopard 10.6.8]. Only recently I have noticed that on some settings [mainly Archival Matt at 720/1440 dpi] printing to Epson Stylus Photo 2100, the printed output is not the 100% I specified but 103%. This only happens with Quark.

I have updated Epson drivers. Other apps eg Acrobat PDF made from the Quark test file, InDesign and Libre Office print fine, at actual size. This problem occurs at whatever scaling I use - the image size is bigger than it should be, for example a square box artwork size of 100mm when set to print at 150% should measure 150mm. In fact it comes out at 154.5mm. Is this an Epson problem or Quark? I feel it's a Quark anomaly as other apps using the same driver and ppd are fine.

So is there anybody who has experienced this rather odd and frustrating bug. Any pointers to a solution will be most welcome.

Thanks
Bernhardt
Bernhardt

Re: Quark 9 files print bigger dimensions than specified

Postby max.peter » 22 Oct 2015, 15:11

Hello Bernhardt,

Did you checked the settings (scaling) both for QuarkXPress and the advanced settings of your printer driver?
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby Bernhardt » 22 Oct 2015, 16:13

Hi Max
Yes, the most obvious checks are sometimes overlooked. However this was the first check I made, making absolutely sure that the size printout WAS the one I wanted! Both printer setup and print/printer Stylus Photo 2100 settings. It's odd that the basic setting works fine [plain paper at 360dpi] but others don't, but do in InDesign. This makes it all the more weird. Normally for checking over artwork content it's not a big deal but if I need to print presentaion files or guides for printer the error I get is obviously not acceptable.

Thanks for your reply anyway
Bernhardt
Bernhardt

Postby max.peter » 23 Oct 2015, 05:08

It is a weird thing, I agree. Try to export to PDF, then print it using Acrobat (this might be a temporary solution). I suppose you can get the correct size of the printed document doing so.

I guess this post was already read by somebody from Quark. But keep in mind that there are tens of different versions of operating systems and propably hundrets of different printer drivers. Quark's engineers try to find answers to a really big number of problems.
max.peter

Postby Rambabu » 23 Oct 2015, 06:55

Check the Option "Fit Print Area" in Print Dialog, it may checked.
If it is checked whatever size you print you just get stretched or enlarged sized print as per Paper Size selection.
Rambabu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Bernhardt » 23 Oct 2015, 07:17

Hi Rambabu/Max
Again, as I've mentioned to Max Peter previously, this is one of those obvious things to chack and eliminate before getting on to a forum.
What my curiosity has turned up is that on a standard lower res setting it prints ok, but higher res and better paper [archival matte, watercolour paper, gloss] all print bigger. Given that the print settings arte the dsame except for resolution and paper type, I'm baffled.
I've tried a file on earlier versions of Quark - v.6, 7, and 8, and the same problem occurs.
AAAGGGHHH! Help!
By the way Max - yes I have done pdfs from Quark and these printed as they should, so it couldn't be the printer driver or printer description file if CS4 use the same printer files ..... could it?

Thanks for your time and comments
Bernhardt
Bernhardt

Postby max.peter » 24 Oct 2015, 12:35

You might thing that there are a lot of different printer models which do not have this problem when printing from QuarkXPress. That is why I think the fault may be on the driver side.
Some years ago I had to replace a printer model with another one (I was on OS X v. 10.4). The same printer was working like a charm on Windows.
I am sorry, I do not know what to tell you more than this.
max.peter

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)