pdf leaves out part of text

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

pdf leaves out part of text

Postby QuestionsQuestions » 24 Oct 2015, 00:30

I'm making a simple 8.5 x 11 2-sided letter-fold brochure and made a pdf to show the client. Everything is fine except for one panel. A photo on that panel is in the pdf but none of the text. A friend suggested saving as another name but that did nothing. I need this pdf!!! Ideas?
QuestionsQuestions

Re: pdf leaves out part of text

Postby max.peter » 24 Oct 2015, 12:39

Hi,

Please let us know what OS do you use and what version of QuarkXPress. Please try also to describe the steps you're doing for getting the PDF file. How is your layout made?
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby QuestionsQuestions » 24 Oct 2015, 20:43

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.2 on a Mac Mini and Quark 10.5.2. Here's my computer info if it's helpful:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

I'm not the least bit technical so when I have a problem, it's a PROBLEM! :-(

To make the PDF, I went to File: Export: Layout as PDF. I'm not sure what you mean about how is my layout made. It's 8.5 x 11, 2 sides and created to fold to letter size. Everything on the Quark file shows up on the PDF except for the text on the left inside panel. There's a photo there and it shows up, just not the text. I changed the fonts on that panel to see if that would make a difference, but it turned out the same. Plz let me know if this isn't what you need me to provide you. Thanks!
QuestionsQuestions

Postby max.peter » 25 Oct 2015, 02:46

Please look if the output of the text box is supressed. See the attached image.
Attachments
01.jpg
01.jpg (199.34 KiB) Viewed 5916 times
max.peter

Postby QuestionsQuestions » 25 Oct 2015, 08:19

I couldn't find Modify so asked Google where I could find it. I found this:

"How do I access the Modify dialog box in QuarkXPress 10 on a Mac?

On Mac only, the Modify dialog box has been removed. Now the measurements palette completely replaces the functionality of the Modify dialog box. It still uses the same shortcut keys as before.
With these changes on the Measurement palette it enables continued access to a layout with the option to modify more than 100 layout settings while working on the layout."

So, I clicked "text box" on the measurements palette but didn't see anything about suppressing output. Where else could I look? Question: If the rest of the layout is showing in the pdf, why would only a portion of the text not appear? Remember, I'm not technical and haven't used Quark in a while, so my questions are probably elementary. :-(
QuestionsQuestions

Postby max.peter » 25 Oct 2015, 09:06

I think you might want to download and to read the handbooks for your version of XPress.

You can downoad them from here: http://quark.com/en/Support/Documentation/QuarkXPress/10.aspx
max.peter

Postby QuestionsQuestions » 26 Oct 2015, 13:03

I solved the problem, but I have no idea why. The one photo that DID appear on the panel with the missing text was on top of the text -- not covering it, but the text was behind it. The text was above and below the photo. I took the text out, made it into two pieces of text -- one above the photo and one below it and lo and behold, now the pdf is whole. Have any idea what happened here?
QuestionsQuestions

Postby max.peter » 26 Oct 2015, 14:01

It seems to be a runaround problem then (a wrong setting regarding how the text is moving around a picture box placed over the text box).
Please refer to the software handbook to see what is all about.
max.peter

Postby QuestionsQuestions » 26 Oct 2015, 14:16

Thanks. I'll check that out.
QuestionsQuestions

Postby UtahLlama » 30 Oct 2015, 04:49

Might have been a transparency problem. Could be the image is not set to allow the text box underneath to show through, could be the image format doesn't support it or a bug on output. Check your output/pdf settings allow native transparency.
Your solution is actually best practise, always try to put text boxes above images, it makes for cleaner output.
UtahLlama

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)