Newbie help - prepare file for printers

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Newbie help - prepare file for printers

Postby bigalk » 05 May 2016, 05:41

Hi guys,

I am a business owner and do my own design work, and while i can do the design work I am cluless when it comes to the printing side of it. Last time i exported my file to pdf to send to the printers, but when they printed it the colours were off and 'washy'.

I talked to the printers about this and they said that i needed to use CMYK.tiff images in my file before export and then that the exported pdf would be ok. Try as i might (over a couple of weeks) I never managed to find a way to properly convert the images for use in Quark - so I gave up and continued to use my RGB images.

I know i read somewhere that other software can import Quark files and handle the RGB -> CMYK conversion properly.
Does anyone know what this software might be? is it indesign?

And now - hope im not breaking any forum rules here - does anyone out there have the ability to do this conversion for me - for a fee?
basically take a Quarkxpress 9 file and prepare it for the printers with the specific object being to convert it so that the images are properly converted from RGB -CMYK?

Can anyone help with this - I dont even know what the correct questions are to ask here?

thanks,
alan
bigalk

Re: Newbie help - prepare file for printers

Postby max.peter » 05 May 2016, 08:26

Hi bigalk,

Please read this short handbook, it may help you.
http://www.gwg.org/wp-content/uploads/GWG2015_PDFX4_Workflow_EN.pdf

If you have further questions, please let us know.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)