Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby soneast » 23 Feb 2017, 12:08

Looking for some help. I've been having some font related issues when outputting for press. I build ads separately in quarkxpress and export each individual ad as a PDF postcripting them through Distiller (and yes the final PDF says the fonts are embedded), then I will build a page and import all the PDFs of scheduled ads. Everything looks fine on the page, but when I go to output the page I often end up with fonts that go arbitrarily wacky or even replace characters. I've attached an example. As you can see the "B' in boutique was replaced with a "v" and the "q" replaced with a "!". The original PDF looks fine, it's not until I import the ad into Quark and then make a new PDF of the page that things go wrong. It doesn't seem to be font specific and is pretty random. Even fonts as benign as arial can be affected.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah I'm using QuarkXpress 9.5 on Mac OS X

Image
soneast
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 14:27

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby eyoungren » 23 Feb 2017, 16:39

soneast wrote:Looking for some help. I've been having some font related issues when outputting for press. I build ads separately in quarkxpress and export each individual ad as a PDF postcripting them through Distiller (and yes the final PDF says the fonts are embedded), then I will build a page and import all the PDFs of scheduled ads. Everything looks fine on the page, but when I go to output the page I often end up with fonts that go arbitrarily wacky or even replace characters. I've attached an example. As you can see the "B' in boutique was replaced with a "v" and the "q" replaced with a "!". The original PDF looks fine, it's not until I import the ad into Quark and then make a new PDF of the page that things go wrong. It doesn't seem to be font specific and is pretty random. Even fonts as benign as arial can be affected.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah I'm using QuarkXpress 9.5 on Mac OS X

Image

Way back when…when we were using XPress to do the exact same thing you are doing (I work for a newspaper and we build our ads and then export them for placement in our newspaper document) we would export our ads as EPS.

I'm not so certain about XPress now, but during the QXP 6-8 era XPress always handled EPS much better than PDF, both importing and exporting.

Since you are already using Distiller to make your PDFs, would making an EPS file instead alter your workflow too much? Instead of a PDF that you import you would import the EPS file.

How we used to do this was to export an EPS. Our ad reps needed a PDF though so we copied the EPS to a watched folder on our server. Distiller would see it and spit out a PDF which an Applescript then sent off to the ad reps. The EPS file was kept with the XPress doc and it's the EPS file that we imported in to our newspaper document.

I had to make sure later on that Distiller was set to process transparency because we started needing that, but that's a simple one line edit in the jobs file. Maybe not relevant to you.

Anyway, wonder if this old process of ours might help. Good luck!
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
User avatar
eyoungren
 
Posts: 6108
Joined: 27 May 2004, 16:08
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby UtahLlama » 23 Feb 2017, 17:23

Welcome back Erik, :D
almost a year without a post :!: I've missed you its so quiet here, I guess its more happening on Facebook these days.

Anyway you've pretty much given the same answer to the same problems Quark users have faced since the turn of the Century. Nothing really wrong with your advice even today.
I can only add that it may help to invest in some software like Pitstop to convert to all Fonts to Outline in your pdfs, ( it can be done without PlugIns but its a lot less convoluted with Pitstop). This would fix most but not all the placing pdfs in Quark issues.

I used to think these font substitution things were down to clashing font subsets on the same page/file but its really much more complicated, and no-one seems to have all the answers.

Still the case today that you need to thoroughly check final pdfs against those that you place!
User avatar
UtahLlama
 
Posts: 199
Joined: 18 Sep 2012, 08:39
Location: The Grand Line

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby eyoungren » 23 Feb 2017, 17:31

UtahLlama wrote:Welcome back Erik, :D
almost a year without a post :!: I've missed you its so quiet here, I guess its more happening on Facebook these days.

Anyway you've pretty much given the same answer to the same problems Quark users have faced since the turn of the Century. Nothing really wrong with your advice even today.
I can only add that it may help to invest in some software like Pitstop to convert to all Fonts to Outline in your pdfs, ( it can be done without PlugIns but its a lot less convoluted with Pitstop). This would fix most but not all the placing pdfs in Quark issues.

I used to think these font substitution things were down to clashing font subsets on the same page/file but its really much more complicated, and no-one seems to have all the answers.

Still the case today that you need to thoroughly check final pdfs against those that you place!

LOL, nice to be back. I recently ditched my FB account (for various reasons) but I do check in here once in a while.

I feel though that while your suggestion is a good one, it adds time and one extra step - which (as you may know) can slow things down on tight deadlines. OP would have to open the PDF before placing it, outline fonts, save and then place. If the font is already blown on the PDF this may not help much.

Just exporting an EPS file, short of corrupt fonts, I think is probably the best. Note, I am assuming OP has a workflow similar to mine. And yes, I have made the suggestion a lot over the years (God and you know, LOL!) but as you said, nothing really wrong with it. :D

However, if OP's workflow allows then this would be an excellent thing to do.

Nice hearing from you again!
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
User avatar
eyoungren
 
Posts: 6108
Joined: 27 May 2004, 16:08
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 23 Feb 2017, 23:42

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Quark.

Kindly share the affected files and let us know the QXP version number and OS info.

email to apalaniappan@quark.com

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian
 
Posts: 85
Joined: 31 Dec 1969, 19:00

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby soneast » 24 Feb 2017, 12:10

eyoungren wrote:
soneast wrote:Looking for some help. I've been having some font related issues when outputting for press. I build ads separately in quarkxpress and export each individual ad as a PDF postcripting them through Distiller (and yes the final PDF says the fonts are embedded), then I will build a page and import all the PDFs of scheduled ads. Everything looks fine on the page, but when I go to output the page I often end up with fonts that go arbitrarily wacky or even replace characters. I've attached an example. As you can see the "B' in boutique was replaced with a "v" and the "q" replaced with a "!". The original PDF looks fine, it's not until I import the ad into Quark and then make a new PDF of the page that things go wrong. It doesn't seem to be font specific and is pretty random. Even fonts as benign as arial can be affected.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah I'm using QuarkXpress 9.5 on Mac OS X

Image

Way back when…when we were using XPress to do the exact same thing you are doing (I work for a newspaper and we build our ads and then export them for placement in our newspaper document) we would export our ads as EPS.

I'm not so certain about XPress now, but during the QXP 6-8 era XPress always handled EPS much better than PDF, both importing and exporting.

Since you are already using Distiller to make your PDFs, would making an EPS file instead alter your workflow too much? Instead of a PDF that you import you would import the EPS file.

How we used to do this was to export an EPS. Our ad reps needed a PDF though so we copied the EPS to a watched folder on our server. Distiller would see it and spit out a PDF which an Applescript then sent off to the ad reps. The EPS file was kept with the XPress doc and it's the EPS file that we imported in to our newspaper document.

I had to make sure later on that Distiller was set to process transparency because we started needing that, but that's a simple one line edit in the jobs file. Maybe not relevant to you.

Anyway, wonder if this old process of ours might help. Good luck!




Ahh that's interesting to note. We used to export to EPS but switched to PDFs as we assumed the embedding function would be more fail proof. We use a program called AdForce which pulls scheduled ad PDFs from a weekly folder into our Quark "dummy" so I'm not sure if that will work with EPSes, I suspect there may be an option to change the file format that it pulls in, I might have to look into that. But if I notice the issue again while outputting pages I will try exporting the troublesome ad to an EPS and bringing that in to see if that fixes the issue. Thanks!
soneast
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 14:27

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 Feb 2017, 13:47

It also may be a result of the distilling process.

capture-000866.png
capture-000866.png (110.85 KiB) Viewed 1054 times


I used the same font, used Export as PDF, placed the fake PDF ad in another layout and re-exported to a new PDF. the screen shot above is from Acrobat in the 2nd PDF.

I would suggest trying just the normal export pdf function and see if there are the same font issues.

Mike
MikeWenzloff
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: 05 Jun 2013, 12:55

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby soneast » 24 Feb 2017, 13:55

MikeWenzloff wrote:It also may be a result of the distilling process.

capture-000866.png


I used the same font, used Export as PDF, placed the fake PDF ad in another layout and re-exported to a new PDF. the screen shot above is from Acrobat in the 2nd PDF.

I would suggest trying just the normal export pdf function and see if there are the same font issues.

Mike



Yes, I had that thought too. Back when we used QuarkXpress 5, that was how we would output pages was a direct PDF, but apparently QuarkXpress 9.5 doesn't support direct to PDF exporting? Consequently we starting sending a postscript through Distiller.
soneast
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 14:27

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 Feb 2017, 18:36

Sure, version 9 does direct--I use it often.

In Preferences there is a choice to output direct or to use PostScript to be distilled.

Mike
MikeWenzloff
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: 05 Jun 2013, 12:55

Re: Font problem outputting a page compiled of imported PDFs

Postby soneast » 27 Feb 2017, 10:19

MikeWenzloff wrote:Sure, version 9 does direct--I use it often.

In Preferences there is a choice to output direct or to use PostScript to be distilled.

Mike



ok I found where I can change to "Direct to PDF."
Well, I have a couple things to try, hopefully one of them will help when the problem shows up again, thanks for all the help!
soneast
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 14:27

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron