Printing from QuarkXpress9 to PDF..Layout fine, PDF a mess

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Re: Printing from QuarkXpress9 to PDF..Layout fine, PDF a me

Postby MikeWenzloff » 05 Jan 2018, 10:27

Hi Andy,

Progress, of sorts.

Does this problem only happen in this classified section or in a place with these frame or drawn effects? And to clarify, if you remake this page, that does output correctly, right?

Would it be possible to share the classified page we are using here in the screen shots? In order to test, do a collect for output and make sure any fonts and images are copied to the CFO folder. Open the publication and delete the other pages if needed and resave that CFO copy. ZIP up that folder, upload to dropbox and send me a private messge with the download link or, if needed, I'll put my email address in a reply and then delete it once I know you have got it (else spammers will get it).

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby senseiblackburn » 05 Jan 2018, 10:35

Mike,

Thank you. The paper is just a double sided 11x17 sheet. It has franchise provided content down the middle and then ads we sell on the sides. The snaking frames are also provided by the franchise and I have had no problems working with this in 8....however I get these results when working in 9 as well as 2017. A friend actually suggested creating a "Virtual Windows 7 Machine" on my new computers and loading 8 onto that...however I do not have an installer (I purchased the business just recently) and cannot find 8 anywhere to buy or download.
senseiblackburn

Postby MikeWenzloff » 05 Jan 2018, 11:18

I would think version 8 would just run on Windows 10. Might be wrong though. Moot if you don't have an installer, though! It may be possible to purchase such a version direct from Quark but it may take intervention to do the sale.

I cannot imagine what the difference between verison 8 and 9 would be. Fundamentally they should be the same in this regard. So how exactly do these outside columns get provided? What format? If these are provided to you, why doesn't this company update their stuff to work in later versions?

I would think resolving this would be a better option if it is at all possible. But I (well, maybe Quark as well) would need to understand how you actually receive the content for the snaking frames.
MikeWenzloff

Postby senseiblackburn » 23 Jan 2018, 08:55

Mike,

Thank you for your efforts on my behalf and I apologize for not writing back recently...things got busy! I tried and 8 won't run right on Win10 so, although it took a lot of work, I installed a Virtual Win7 machine on my new computer, installed 8, copied all my fonts and necessary programs and it works like a charm. It did not fix the problem but it has given me the ability to do my work on a much faster and stable computer AND take it when out of town on my laptop. At some point I will need to make the jump but for now at least I am so relieved to be able to do my work. If you or anyone has any ideas on how to fix the real problem I would certainly like to to hear them. Thank you again!!!!!!
senseiblackburn

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)