Plain style font not showing up in quark

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.

Postby Kevin K » 12 May 2011, 06:00

Thanks to anyone that can help. I am running Mac Vs 10.6.5 with quark 8 and extensis Fusion 3. I load the font that is stored on my harddrive into Fusion 3 and it shows up. I can activate it ok. I can see it in fusion ok. But when I launch quark all I can see is the Itallic, Bold, and Bold Italic versions but not the plain version. This is happening to different fonts so I know it is not just the one font. It is also happening to my co-workers computer. That is identical to mine. I can see the whole font family in any adobe product but not in Quark. What is causing this and why?
Kevin K

Postby eyoungren » 12 May 2011, 07:10

You might try flushing your font caches. I usually use FontNuke for that.
eyoungren

Postby knotaway » 16 Oct 2012, 09:21

I've posted on a couple of other threads, too, but here it is again... (squeaky wheel)

I, too, am having this issue, and hope there is a better answer than the one you are referring to.
I recently upgraded to OSX 10.6.8 and am using Quark 8 or 9 (same issue, both versions, same files).
I am using Suitcase Fusion 3 and the fonts are activated and accessible in other applications, just not Quark.
I also tried activating the fonts using Font Book with the same results.

I have encountered so far today 3 fonts that are not loading. In two cases (Century Gothic & Franklin Gothic) I am able to load and access in Quark the bold, bold italic, italic, etc versions but not the regular version. (up to 12 different, random fonts)
I have cleaned my font cache and restarted several times.
There has got to be an answer to this. Will upgrading to OSX 10.7 fix this, or am I going to create even more problems?
knotaway

Postby AmyDesigns » 24 Oct 2013, 10:08

I am in Quark 9.3.1 and just started having the same exact problem with a font family I've been using for years. Still have not found an answer.
AmyDesigns

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 28 Oct 2013, 22:53

Hi AmyDesigns,

Could you kindly share the problematic font family? I will try to analyze it. You casn mail to me at sinair@quark.com.

~Sirish
Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 28 Oct 2013, 22:55

Hi knotaway,

Could you kindly share the problematic font family? I will try to analyze it. You casn mail to me at sinair@quark.com.

~Sirish
Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby knotaway » 29 Oct 2013, 07:00

emailing you Sirish...
knotaway

Postby Ted Kostandin » 09 Jun 2014, 04:56

Has anyone found a solution?
Ted Kostandin

Postby knotaway » 09 Jun 2014, 05:08

No. No solution. Very frustrating.
knotaway

Re: Plain style font not showing up in quark

Postby omegaman » 24 Jul 2014, 19:32

I still get this occasionally with 9 and 10, sometimes the missing fonts will show as the Greek Omega Symbol! This especially happens will older Type 1 fonts more than a decade old. I use FontExplorer to clean out the Application and System Caches and restart. If that does not work I delete all the fonts in FontExplorer and reload them from the original CD's.

Sometimes converting the font to a True Type or Open Type format solves the issue for good. I use FontXChange for that and FontDoctor to scan the fonts before loading them into Xplorer.

Unless it came as multiple formats, the best practice is to stick with the original format of the font though.

Don't forget to try deleting the Quark Preferences folder first.
Last edited by omegaman on 01 Aug 2014, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.5 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9 and 2015 / Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo / Acorn / Pinegrow Web Designer
http://www.e-assistance.com.au
omegaman

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage