Font displays differently from one computer to the next

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.

Postby chandlerbing » 16 Apr 2014, 11:16

It seems the main problem lies with Myriad Pro, though it's happened with other fonts from time to time. Some subtle variation of the way the font displays is slightly different between my computer, my designer's, and my editor's, so that what looks fine for me will show up with text overflows or widows on someone else's machine, or vice versa. We've tried to delete all extra copies of the font (including the Jaws copies) and replace them from a single source so we're all working with an identical version of the font. Yet we still seem to have discrepencies from time to time. Is there some other preference hidden somewhere that might be causing this problem? Any way at all to permanently fix this so we can trust we're all looking at the same thing?
chandlerbing

Postby STomiyama » 16 Apr 2014, 16:29

Did you try to clear font cache? If not, please clear it. In case you are on Mac, this article may help you clearing the cache. http://quark.parature.com/link/portal/30026/30029/Article/3308/How-to-clear-font-caches-on-MAC
If you already cleared it, and still get the issue, please check you are using the same setting in these preferences.
Project>General
Print layout>Character
Regards,
Siyoh Tomiyama
STomiyama
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 16 Apr 2014, 20:53

Hi chandlerbing,
Which version of QXP are using? Is this same on all systems? Are you working on a working on a current version document or a legacy document?

~Sirish
Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby chandlerbing » 17 Apr 2014, 06:15

I'll have to try clearing the font cache, though I don't have direct access to a couple of the computers in question. Maybe our IT guy can take care of that. As for the Preferences mentioned, those are document-specific preferences, so it can't be different from one computer to the next on the same document, can it?
chandlerbing

Postby STomiyama » 17 Apr 2014, 16:42

chandlerbing wrote:As for the Preferences mentioned, those are document-specific preferences, so it can't be different from one computer to the next on the same document, can it?

Oh, sorry. The second one is completely document-specific. Regarding the first one, XPress can have both application and document level preference of it. The document-specific settings should be used when they are different if XPress is working fine. In case you see different setting in this General, one of XPress must be something wrong.
STomiyama
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage