Kerning table edit for small caps (Garamond Premier Pro)

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.

Postby SSC » 07 Dec 2013, 09:54

I'm trying to edit the kerning table for Garamond Premier Pro on my Mac, and it works fine for standard roman combinations, but I can't figure out how to edit letter pairs that involve small caps or old style figures.

For example, if I want to kern the pair V. closer together, I can't figure out how to specify that it's the small-caps V that I want. Similarly with old style numerals, I want to kern the pair 74 closer together, but I can only enter the standard full-height numerals into the kerning table edit dialog box.

Is there a way I can get these small caps and old style figures into my kerning table?

(I'm mainly self-taught, and am using an old version of Quark [7] on my old MacBook, and upgrading is not an option as I'm impoverished. So if it just can't be done with this configuration I'll just have to work around. Many thanks.)
SSC

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 08 Dec 2013, 22:06

I was hoping that modifying the XML kerning table, replacing CharCodeFirst with GlyphIdFirst (and obviously entering the right glyph ID number) would do the trick but apparently no luck. It's quite frustrating for the xsd file seems to allow ID targetting (unless I misunderstand that file).
This said, as for kerning the old style numerals, you can select Proportionnal figures in the OpenType dropdown menu. This will at least apply a much optimized kerning to the pairs, yet not customised. (I think all this was available back in v7. Sorry if not). HTH.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby SSC » 10 Dec 2013, 13:21

Thanks for the reply and for checking. It seems like an obvious thing one would want to do with a professional font, but I can't seem to make it work.It looks like I'll have to try kerning one instance manually and then do a search-and-replace for all the rest (and hope I don't miss any or re-insert an unkerned one later by mistake).
SSC

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 02 Jan 2014, 17:39

Hi SSC,

The default Open Type kern pairs with an Open Type font are honored in QuarkXPress since version 7. Though these kern pairs are not visible in the Kerning Table Edit dialog, they are honored if 'Use Open Kerning' preference is checked in Preferences dialog > Print > General pane. If this preference is checked then the Open Font is not visible in Kerning Table Edit dialog. If the preference is unchecked, then the Open Font becomes visible in Kerning Table Edit dialog, but the Open Type kern pairs are not honored. You can add custom kern pairs instead.

~Sirish
Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 02 Jan 2014, 21:55

Hi Sirish! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to add extended custom pairs even if OT kerning is off? Since v7 I've turned that off because of unwanted kerned pairs. Unless I'm taking it the wrong way?
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby SSC » 03 Jan 2014, 11:22

Many thanks for the reply, Sinish, but I'm afraid I still don't understand. Is it possible to do what I want to do?

I am using Garamond Premier Pro with Quark 7 on my old mac (and can't afford to upgrade unfortunately). In Preferences > Project > General there is a checkbox for "Use OpenType Kerning"

If this box is checked, then Garamond Premier Pro doesn't even show up in the Utilities > Edit Kerning Table choices, and so I can't do anything.

If this box is unchecked (that's how I've been working) then Garamond Premier Pro does show up in the Utilities > Edit Kerning Table choices, and I can edit the kerning table just fine for ordinary roman combinations.

But what I want to do is kern small-caps pairs and old-style numeral pairs, and I can't see how to enter these into the Kerning Table Edit dialog box. For example, if I want to kern the small-caps pair "v." (vee-period), I can't enter that into the Kerning Table Edit dialog box -- it accepts only a regular roman v, and not a small-caps v. Similarly if I want to kern old-style numerals 74 together, all the dialog box accepts is full-height 74.

Is there a way to specify that the small-caps v is the one I want in the kerning pair? Or the old-style 7 and 4?

Many thanks.
SSC

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 06 Jan 2014, 19:36

Hi SSC,

As mentioned in previous reply, Open Type kern kerning is honored for all default kern pairs in an Open Type font, Use Open Type kerning preference is checked. By default kern pairs, I mean all the kern pairs which alreday pre-defined within the font. This also includes the Open Type Small caps characters, Old Style Figure characters. You cannot modify these kern pairs in QuarkXPress. Since the number of kern pairs in an Open Type font is huge, hence the kern pairs are not displayed in the Kerning Table Edit. In case, Use Open Type kerning preference is unchecked, then default kern paisr are not hnored and user needs to manually add he kern pairs. But in such you are unable to type Open TYpe characters in the kern field in Kerning Table Edit. In case you want to apply Open Type kerning, then you should keep Use Open Type kerning preference checked.

~Sirish
Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage