Mac 10.7 / Quark 9 Fonts won't load.

Discuss fonts and font usage in QuarkXPress workflows on MacOS® and Windows® in QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10.

Postby Dug » 18 Jul 2012, 05:34

I can't seem to get Quark 9.3 to recognize loaded fonts (unless Helvetica is loaded in the System/Library/Fonts folder.)I work in Prepress and I am installing some new Macs for production.These are Mac Minis running 10.7.4, 8GB ram, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5. We always strip down the fonts to the essential fonts which are:In the System/Library/FontsApple Color Emoji.ttfAppleGothic.ttfAquaKana.ttcGeneva.dfontHelveticaNeueDeskUI.ttcKeyboard.ttfLastResort.ttfLucidaGrande.ttcMenlo.ttcMonaco.dfontWe strip all fonts out of Library/Fonts and the ~/User/Library fontsWe use FontBook for loading/unloading fonts (on a per job basis.)I can get all other programs that our production machines use to work with this process. That would include email, TextEdit, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, CS4/CS5/CS6 suites, etc.We have used this process with all the Mac systems up until 10.6.x.The problem only occurs with 10.7.x and Quarks 7.5, 8.5 & 9.3.I have tried various procedures which include Safe Mode, cleaning font caches (command line, font nuke, etc.) and nothing seems to resolve this problem.The only way to have Quark recognize the user loaded fonts is the put the Helvetica dfonts back into the System/Library/Fonts folder. The problem with this is that our customers use various Helvetica fonts which usually conflict with the system fonts creating all sorts of issues.I am wondering if anyone on this forum can give me any insight to a possible solution? My preference is not to use other font management software like Suitcase unless I absolutely have to.
Dug

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 18 Jul 2012, 18:06

Hi Dug,
The problem of Helvetica not showing up in QXP is due to the font conflict occurring b/w the default Helvetica font provided by Mac and the custom Helvetica fonts installed by you. Due to the font conflict, many styles of font are getting suppressed.

In Mac OS 10.7, System/Library/Fonts folder contains 3 Helvetica fonts by default: Helvetica.dfont, HelveLTMM, Helvetica LT MM

Workaround for the issue:
Helvetica fonts
1. Remove all Helvetica fonts from the font folders
a) /System/Library/Fonts folder
b) /Library/Fonts folder
c) /Users//Library/Fonts folder
You may not be able to remove Helvetica.dfont from /System/Library/Fonts folder (in case you still want to remove Helvetica.dfont, kindly go through the links regarding protected fonts mentioned at end of my mail. )
2. Flush the font caches, restart the machine.
To clear the current users font cache, first quit all running applications (otherwise, you may see font oddities after using the command), then open Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities) and run this command:
atsutil databases -removeUser
atsutil server shutdown
atsutil server ping
3. Invoke Font Book -> Install the Helvetica fonts (which you shared with me) -> In case font conflict pops up for Helvetica fonts, select Ignore conflicts option.
4. Again flush the font caches, restart the machine. In case font conflict pops up for Helvetica font, select Ignore conflicts option.
5. Launch QXP 9.3
You can have a look at below links regarding font management and font issues on Mac
http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html
http://www.hcsonline.com/support/white-papers/130-fonts-in-mac-os-x
http://www.fontgeek.net/blog/?p=253
In case you have any query, kindly revert back.
~Sirish
Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Dug » 19 Jul 2012, 04:41

Hi SirishI have seen this procedure posted by you on a different thread and have followed it with no success. In my System 10.7 there were five Helveticas listed:HelveLTMMHelvetica LT MMHelvetica.dfontHelveticaNeue.dfontHelveticaNeueDeskUI.ttcThe only one I have kept is the HeveticaNeueDeskUI.ttc font.I have stripped out every Helvetica from all the Font folders from the /System, the /Library and the /User folders, so I don't believe this is a conflict due to duplication.This problem even occurs when I load our customer fonts folders with no Helvetica fonts in them.I hope this explains my problem a bit better.Doug
Dug

Postby eyoungren » 19 Jul 2012, 08:21

Have a look here. Kurt Lang covers fonts really well and he explains how to replace the system fonts (particularly Helvetica) for both Snow Leopard and Lion. The page is updated regularly.
eyoungren

Postby Dug » 19 Jul 2012, 09:11

Hi eyoungrenI have been following Kurt's advice for a long time and have read that article (that you pointed out) before I tried to setup the first Mac OS 10.7 machine. He had many suggestions which I tried but seem to be stumped when it comes to Quark.As an aside, when I type on this forum, I type in paragraph returns but when I hit "Post" my message comes out in one long sentence. What am I doing wrong?Doug
Dug

Postby eyoungren » 19 Jul 2012, 12:51

Hi Doug. Sorry I can't be of more use to you on fonts other than linking to that web page. I can help with the posting though.
You aren't doing anything wrong. It's the forum software. It's not Safari friendly. And the reason I know you are using Safari is because it's the only browser anyone uses here that does this. They changed the forums over from phpBB in 2008 and around that time also promised to write in support for Safari. They haven't obviously, as it's four years later and this is still a problem
If Safari is your preferred browser and you just can bear to not use it, there is a work around. Anytime you want a new paragraph enter the html paragraph code and the forum software will recognize your paragraphs.
The only other solution is to use a different browser. I don't know if there is a addon for Safari that will allow you to change Safari's user agent to fool the forum software, but if there is that may be an option too. If there is one (an addon), set the user agent id to show a browser other than Safari.
Again, sorry I can't be of more help.
Hmmmread through this again (the first time I skimmed it, sorry, should have seen that the link I gave was there earlier).
Let me see if I can find anything for you.
eyoungren

Postby Dug » 20 Jul 2012, 03:43

Actually the browser I am using is Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47Doug
Dug

Postby eyoungren » 20 Jul 2012, 08:45

Dug wrote:Actually the browser I am using is Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47
Doug

Well, then that's a new one on me.
Sent you an email. I don't know if you got it.
eyoungren

Re: Mac 10.7 / Quark 9 Fonts won't load.

Postby ssavarese » 05 Feb 2015, 15:48

dug, I know this is an old post, but did you ever get a resolution to this? Im having the same problem with 10.8
ssavarese

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Fonts and fonts usage