DeviceN

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

DeviceN

Postby Stackie » 02 Dec 2013, 05:57

Hello,
My print vendor said that my pdf files are showingDeviceN. They said that the color space needs to be fixed to show black or gray only.Is there something I need to do inQuark 9? or is this something that needs to be fixed through Acrobat's (8.0) preflight or enfocus' preflight?
I have already tried printing using all of the color options in Quark to no avail.
Thanks
Stackie
Stackie

DeviceN

Postby UtahLlama » 03 Dec 2013, 13:43

DeviceN is the space for any single uncalibrated colour, usually a spot colour but could be process black. DeviceN is allowed in PDFX-1a so its not that unusual to find it. You could try setting Quark to output in the greyscale100K colour space, but I'm not sure that would prevent it. The main problem with DeviceN for pre-press is that if you try to use the Edit Image feature in Acrobat on an Acrobat DeviceN image in Photoshop, it can't open the file. Quick fix is to first convert the image colour space to cmyk using something like Pitstop before using the Edit Image feature, it then will open in Photoshop and can be turned to black only or greyscale and saved back into the pdf. You could also play around with Acrobat's Convert Colour feature.
UtahLlama

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management