Quark 10 Colour Management Broken?

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby Hoppy » 13 Oct 2013, 07:24

I have existing Quark 9 projects with imported images. I have output profiles for proofing for my printer and paper.The display emulation of proof output is OK in Quark V9 but way out when using the same profile in Quark 10. In particular, skin tones are rendered far to red.(I should add that the images and print output (using the same printer profile) from Adobe Lightroom and Lightroom's soft proof display is entirely accurate.)I have tried importing pictures to a new Quark 10 project and get the same colour error.Quark 10 colour management source options are set to Enable Access to Picture Profiles.Unless I can fix this issue I will have to revert to using Quark v9.Any thoughts or insights?Thanks, Hoppy.QXP10.0.0.2Mac: 2.8GHz i7, 12 GB memory. OSX 10.8.5
Hoppy

Postby MikeWenzloff » 13 Oct 2013, 09:41

It's a known issue. Suppose to be fixed in a patch by end of October.
MikeWenzloff

Re: Quark 10 Colour Management Broken?

Postby Hoppy » 31 Jul 2014, 16:13

Been waiting patiently for 10.2. Unfortunately soft proofing with print ICC profiles still yields incorrect on screen colours - way too much magenta. This was an issue that was raised with Quark last year and it was agreed as an issue - but it appears not to have been fixed.

Hoppy.
Hoppy

Re: Quark 10 Colour Management Broken?

Postby Renata » 25 Aug 2014, 23:30

Hi, although I own Quark 10 (even two) I postponed switching to it because of its slow performance. I see great improvement in 10.2 but I still have problems with some of my files created in version 9. First, the copy is reflown. It looks like the settings for tracking don't read correctly. I have to go and manually correct problematic lines. Second, when I try to edit color in color palette, document crashes. I noticed that some colors don't have any marking if they are spot colors or CMYK. Those are the colors which are solid PMS but were converted (by clicking "spot color" off) to be process. I have to add that in other documents, although I have the same issue with converted colors, clicking on them in color palette don't make Quark to crash. However I see different problem there. I can edit them and click off spot colors but this doesn't really change them to process. I can however do that by choosing CMYK Model. After that I can see the CMYK marking in color palette. Can somebody tell me if this is the new way to convert PMS colors to process? I really liked that feature (clicking spot color off) in previous versions. And then, is there way to deal with crashing problem caused by clicking on the swatch in color palette?

Thank you, Renata
Renata

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management