Quark 9 - HELP!! colour image import for litho output .pdf w

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby LaSue » 10 Jul 2013, 02:40

Easy question for any designer currently using this. Is it still a pre-requisite to import CMYK 300dpi images into Quark 9 to output a pukka CMYK .pdf for litho printing? I have noticed there are a lot more colour conversion options than in previous edition we were using (6.5).
LaSue

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 10 Jul 2013, 03:36

If your output settings are correct, any RGB image shall output in CMYK. HTH.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby UtahLlama » 10 Jul 2013, 09:20

Jean-Marie Schwartz wrote:If your output settings are correct, any RGB image shall output in CMYK. HTH.
:) you mean many not any :) I'd stick with TIF or JPG if you want Quark to convert RGB to CMYK, 300ppi is a good ballpark for Litho pictures and you can get away with a lot less if the subject is forgiving. Not sure where quark is with a re-occurring bug that converts hi res bitmaps to 300ppi images in pdfs when any downsampling is asked for any image type?, and also Quark's downsampling is poor compared to results using Acrobat's Optimiser or Photoshop so best to leave this bit on Do not downsample.
UtahLlama

Postby Graham PM (Quark) » 10 Jul 2013, 12:16

You have options. If you have the default output set up, QXP will pass through a CMYK image unadulterated to PostScript/PDF, but must convert an RGB image to CMYK, since the default option is output all to DeviceCMYK. In these cases, for CMYK, you would have to make sure that the ICCProfile in the original CMYK image matches the final device it is going out to.... that is, the target printing device. For RGB, since QXP has to do the conversion to CMYK, you would have to make sure the CMYK profile in the output setup matches the final output device. The other option, which is somewhat easier, is to change the output set up to AsIs: your RGB images will be written out as RGB and then it is up to your PostScript RIP or PDF reader (Acrobat) to do the necessary CMYK conversions for print, at which point the end device characteristics are known.
Graham PM (Quark)

Postby UtahLlama » 11 Jul 2013, 09:32

Graham PM (Quark) wrote:The other option, which is somewhat easier, is to change the output set up to AsIs: your RGB images will be written out as RGB and then it is up to your PostScript RIP or PDF reader (Acrobat) to do the necessary CMYK conversions for print, at which point the end device characteristics are known.
I'm not sure I want to open this can of worms, but the default AsIs (which happens to be my recommended default Litho settings) will remove any ICC profiles on the placed RGB, meaning that the RIP or Acrobat will have to be told what they are/were, which is kind of a problem if any of them were different to each other (or in the admittedly unlikely scenario of profiled RGB being supplied by someone who understands Color Management). What you end up with in a PDF would be DeviceRGB which your Litho Printer will be working blind to convert, Incorrect selection of sRGB and Adobe RGB are going to give different CMYK results. Will quark10 will finally be able pass ICC profiles through to PDF ?!? Graham are you allowed to confirm or deny ?!?
UtahLlama

Postby Graham PM (Quark) » 11 Jul 2013, 12:59

I can only discuss the shipping version of QXP. The profile attached to your RGB image disappears in a puff of smoke because QXP is writing to a PostScript device, and PostScript in any flavour does not support ICC directly. As a consequence the data will be written out to PS as DeviceRGB, unless it started life as a Calibrated RGB image, in which case it passes through as CIEBasedABC. When generating PDF, the JAWS library consumes the exact same PostScript, which is why, likely as not, the profile does not travel end to end. There may be some mechanism that jumps in when JAWS is consuming the image, to rectify that, but based on my current imperfect knowledge that is not the case.
Graham PM (Quark)

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management