Q9 - EPS preview different to Q8

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby dbob » 16 Mar 2012, 06:46

Quark 9 is not displaying my placed photoshop EPS files with the correct colour managed preview. Files and colour settings are exactly the same as Quark 8.If I save as TIFF the image previews correctly, selecting an EPS hi-res preview does not fix the issue. See this example here, as you can see the Quark 8 preview was fine.http://www.gocreativeuk.com/Quark_colour.html
dbob

Postby Glenn McDowall » 19 Mar 2012, 03:52

lifted from a completely different thread here is a quote from Graham PM.
"...In QXP 8 and all previous versions, the preview for the EPS was taken from the PICT or TIFF thumbnail present in the EPS file. Those previews are usually pretty crude, mostly indexed RGB images. In QXP 9, the actual EPS is rasterized using JAWS: this results in a high quality preview..."
what isn't clear is where JAWS draws its color managementsettings from.
I should also mention the thread was talking about Illustrator EPS files, it may be that Photoshop EPS are treated differently[W]
Glenn McDowall

Postby dbob » 19 Mar 2012, 12:01

Had a reply from Quark support today suggesting saving the eps from Photoshop using the 8 bit tiff option instead of the default 8 bit macintosh. Unfortunately made no difference. My EPS previews in Quark 8 weren't that crude, for sure they weren't super hi-res but for colour they perfectly matched my photoshop file and acrobat pdf when all opened next to each other. Something has changed in 9 which has messed this all up. Each day I am finding new reasons NOT to upgrade my entire studio to Lion and Q9.
dbob

Postby dbob » 23 Mar 2012, 00:01

had another reply from Quark support:I apologize for the inconvenience & delay that you faced. The issue has been logged already as the defect in our system. Our development team is working on it and this will be fixed in next release of QuarkXPress. I hope this information helps.
dbob

Postby Glenn McDowall » 23 Mar 2012, 00:28

Thanks dbob, its good to know its a recognized problem, perhaps someone from quark could explain on the forum the mechanism of the problem it could be worked around whilst waiting for the fix.
Glenn McDowall

Postby dbob » 31 May 2012, 13:09

this appears to be fixed in 9.3, although i was running under Lion previously and have since reverted back to Snow Leopard. Can anyone confirm if this is also fixed under Lion with 9.3?
dbob

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management