Grayscale TIFF background isn't white

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby hoohaw » 08 Feb 2012, 16:20

Quark 9 is giving me fits. When importing a grayscale TIFF, white shows up as a light gray. JPGs and PSDs are fine. I feel like I've tried every possible combination in Source Option and Proof Output. Maybe I missed something? Changing the preview to Full Resolution fixes it, but I would have to do that for each grayscale image. Is there any other way?
Quark 7 worked so well. Unfortunately, I have to run Lion, so I moved up to 9. The color management issues are enough to drive me to the other side.
Thanks for any help!
hoohaw

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 08 Feb 2012, 21:33

Tell me, is the problem occurring on display only or at outputing the file as well? My experience is that Grayscale TIFF may show light gray on display as LR preview but OK as HR preview, as you said. There is no consequence though on output or print. So if it's just a question of seeing the file with pure white when you have LR previews, no other way than turning them all to HR, which must be done by hand. Unless somebody else has a nice trick.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby hoohaw » 09 Feb 2012, 13:11

Thanks for your response. You're right. It outputs fine. Most of the color management problems I'm having with Quark 9 are in the display.
Hope someone will come up a fix -- it's a little annoying.
hoohaw

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 09 Feb 2012, 21:18

hoohaw wrote:Most of the color management problems I'm having with Quark 9 are in the display.
I think its definately down to the low resolution preview. The more info you want in a file, the bigger the file is. Quite logical.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management