CMYK composite from four greyscale channel images

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby dogulas » 11 Sep 2011, 09:50

Hi,
I have PaintShop Photo Pro X3 running on Windows 7 x64. I have created artwork for an ad that I am purchasing in a trade publication. They are using Quark software. The contact person at the magazine tells me that they need my artwork in CMYK format and in a file type of eps. They need the CMYK format in one file as opposed to being broken out into separate channels. PaintShopt Photo Pro will only create four greyscalechannel images, but the contact person says that won't work.
Does anyone know how I can get my artwork into the format that Quark needs?

Thanks,
Dogulas
dogulas

Postby rcantin » 12 Sep 2011, 01:52

dogulas wrote:Does anyone know how I can get my artwork into the format that Quark needs?
I dont know a lot about Photo Pro but Quark will import a TIF file, so you just have to save your file (or export) as a TIF.The list of Output format support for Photo Pro does not include DCS (Desktop Color Separation) so I believe you can save as EPS too.
rcantin

Postby dogulas » 12 Sep 2011, 03:54

rcantin,
Thanks for the response. It is my understanding that if I save my file in TIF or EPS, it will be in RGB format. And, the publisher tells me that it needs to be in CMYK format regardless of the file type.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dogulas
dogulas

Postby rcantin » 12 Sep 2011, 04:41

Well it seem that you can print your pictures in CMYK separation mode (according to the manual). I dont know if you can Save as a cmyk eps or tif.It may worth to try a print to a PDF file?
rcantin

Postby ronwel » 12 Sep 2011, 05:11

EPS and TIFF files can be RGB or CMYK...as well as several other colour formats. Just make sure that you convert your image to CMYK beforre saving. (Most programs default to RGB when creating a new document.
If you chose to save it as and EPS, once it has been converted to CMYK, make sure you save it as and EPS with NO other options. You care getting 4 greyscale files because you are creating 4 CMYK seperations...which usually happens when you save and EPS using the "DCS" "[strong]Desktop Colour Separation"[/strong]format.
ronwel

Postby dogulas » 12 Sep 2011, 06:59

rcantin,
Thanks for your reply. I tried this already. When you print your picture in CMYK separation mode, it simply prints four greyscale pictures, one for each of the four colors. The greyscale picture for a particular color shows the intensity of that color in across the whole picture. I'm not sure how publisher would use this, but the publishers that I'm dealing with don't want it this way. They want a single color picture using CMYK colors.
By the way, you can also do something called CMYK channel separation which does exactly the same think except instead of printing the greyscale images, it creats four greyscale windows.
Thanks,
Dogulas
dogulas

Postby dogulas » 12 Sep 2011, 07:02

ronwel,
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 will simply not convert the image to CMYK. The only options having anything to do with CMYK are splitting the image into fourseparate greyscale images. I'm getting rather disappointed with this product.
Thanks,
Dogulas
dogulas

Postby dogulas » 12 Sep 2011, 07:04

Readers,
Thanks for your discussions. I realized that Microsoft Publisher will do this easily, so I've started over with this product.
Thanks,
Dogulas
dogulas

Postby Jean-Marie Schwartz » 12 Sep 2011, 21:23

Hi! I might come in too late in the discussion, but RGB files can be imprted in Quark documents since v7 I think. My habit is strong and I keep on converting almost every image to 300dpi CMYK (indeed I have a old Photoshop droplet to which I drop pictures so they are converted) but I know for sure that RGB files can be imported and at the final output stage they're converted to CMYK if you output to CMYK, Grayscale if you output so, and so on. You should talk to the printer or layout person about that. HTH.
Jean-Marie Schwartz

Postby rcantin » 13 Sep 2011, 01:38

Hi Jean-Marie,Reading the OP you had notice that they need my artwork in CMYK format and in a file type of epsUnfortunalely, beeing in prepress, I know a lot of printer who dont want any RGB files (especialy if it came from Corel or Publisher).
rcantin

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management