Information on Spot Color Halftone Setting

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby cjrefi » 28 Apr 2011, 10:28

Im trying to understand the Spot Color Setting Halftone. When I create a custom color and select Spot Color, I can choose the Halftone setting. The information that Ive found on line indicated that this setting allows you to choose the screen angle when printing shades of the spot color. The options available are Process Black, Process Cyan, Process Magenta and Process Yellow. My interpretation of this statement is that the spot color will use the same halftone settings as the Process color you select when printing the document. Can anyone confirm this understanding or provide a better description? Thanks in advance.
cjrefi

Postby bsprasad » 28 Apr 2011, 20:07

Hi,
Yes, you'r correct.
Thanks,
HP
bsprasad

Postby max.peter » 28 Apr 2011, 20:38

Hi,
Usually, spot colors are used for some logos or other items related with certain requirements (i.e. for a company identity). For most of situations I've met, I had to use it in linear (vector) art. That means that the shade of the spot color has to be 100%, otherwise is no need to use a spot color, because the shade can be obtain from the basic process colors (C, M, Y and K). So, a halftone does not exist in this case.
Hope this helps
Regards.
max.peter

Postby Glenn McDowall » 13 Sep 2011, 02:55

My interpretation of this statement is that the spot color will use the same halftone settings as the Process color you select when printing the document.

This interpretation is correct.
Most prepress people will ignore your halftone settings and over-ride them in their RIP. Typically you don't want the spot color angle to clash with other colours that are run in the same place on the page, most of the time this would be Black (eg for spot and black duotone). Of course many modern screening patterns don't really have an angle anymore.[*]
Glenn McDowall

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management