Retain original ICC on exported PDF

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows

Postby reedcav2 » 19 Apr 2010, 08:14

Hi,
my first time on here and I wonder if anyone can help me. I am trying to export a PDF from Quark7 or 8 with no Colour Management (i.e. the images keep the same CMYKvalues) but retain the ICC profiles that are tagged to the images originally after the pdf has been exported.
I am checking this using Pitstop in Acrobat.

Thereason for doing this is we are going to Colour Manage afterwards in aseperate workflow (we also use Indesign, where you can have no ColourConversion but keep profile tags on images when exporting to PDF)

PleaseNote: I do not want the PDF to have the final output profile but toretain the profiles (there may be many images in one Quark documentwith different ICC profiles) of the images

many thanks
reedcav2

Postby eyoungren » 19 Apr 2010, 08:30

Either make a new PDF output style or edit one of the existing ones. Go to the color section and where it says Setup, click on the popup menu. Select AsIs. Click OK.
AsIs should just pass your profiles through with no management.
eyoungren

Postby reedcav2 » 21 Apr 2010, 01:20

Thanks for the reply,
unfortunately, when I use pitstop on the PDF, it still asks me to select a profile and does not show me the original one though.
Any ideas where I am going wrong, maybe Quark does not support the workflow I am trying to achieve?
reedcav2

Postby Glenn McDowall » 04 May 2010, 03:25

Postscript does not support ICC profiles. So they are lost at the point of the workflow that uses postscript. I believe Adobe gets around this by writing instructions in its postscript that allow Distiller to find them if they are resident on the computer. The workaround that quark offers is to create an output colour space based on AsIs but check the box that sends postscript color management.
Edit>Colour Setups>Output
create a new one based on AsIs (I call it AsIs with ICC) and check the box that says Use Device Independant Colour .
If you use this when you write your postscript Quark will read the ICC attached to the image and convert it to DEFG CIE (the same as if you saved a photoshop EPS and checked the use postscript colour management box) which is sort of the same as CMYK with ICC profile in that the colour in the PDF is Device Independant. But, most RIPs will see this as a different colour space and treat it independantly to cmyk or rgb objects.
To be honest I haven't found a use for thepostscript color management route, on the very rare occasions I need ICC converted between quark and output (CMYK from one ICC to different CMYK %numbers (Device Dependant)) I let Quark do the conversion to the Output colour space.
Glenn McDowall

Postby reedcav2 » 10 May 2010, 02:49

Thanks to both for your help but unfortunatley I still cannot get the results to replicate the ones I get from exporting a PDF from Indesign and then Colour Managed through my third party workflow, being as Indesign fully allows the profies to be retained when the PDF is created.
reedcav2

Postby Glenn McDowall » 01 Jun 2010, 02:21

You need to know precisely what happens in each scenario inside your third party workflow. You'll need to know how and if the cmyk+profile is converted to cmyk numbers on plate. Then you can set about performing the transformation inside quark. Look for destination profiles, intent, and engine. If you are using something clever like DeviceLink profiles or custom black generation its never going to work in quark8.
Glenn McDowall

Postby reedcav2 » 11 Oct 2010, 03:26

Thanks,
I guess that is the problem, you can only perform the Colour Management inside Quark, which, as I am using
Indesign and potentially GMG ColourServer also, I don't wish to do that, as I want to match outputs.

All I require, is for Quark to carry the ICC profiles tagged in any images though into a PDF exported from Quark. Oh Well!
reedcav2

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management