ONE Hyphenation Exceptions for ALL documents. Please?

Discuss QuarkXTensions® and third-party XTensions® software

Postby Jack Stern » 07 Feb 2005, 19:27

Hyphenation Exceptions in the utilities area only allows for exceptions for the file in which it is open.

Is there anything to allow one Hyphenation Exceptions file to be used for ALL documents to be opened, and which can regular be added to, so we don't have to hyphenate Che-ney, Clin-ton, Pu-tin and hundreds (if not thousands) of other names and otherwise "regular" words daily again and again on our newspaper pages?

Tens of thousands of people hours have been spent doing this. What a waste, no?

Best regards,

Jack
Jack Stern

Postby kc » 08 Apr 2005, 11:21

We spent many-an-hour updating master templates because of hyphenation exceptions, before finding a great extension called Hyphenator XT (http://www.techno-design.com).
You can have a single central list of hyphenation exceptions living on a server which applies to any Quark file when you run Hyphenator. It does cause some text reflow, but bad breaks are minimized significantly.

KC
kc

Postby vom491 » 16 Nov 2005, 13:05

If you don't want to get the Xtension mentioned by kc, then just enter your exceptions while no documents are opened. This creates a global hyphenation exceptions. Be warned though that if your Xpress Preference file becomes damage in the future, there is no way to recreate the exceptions from a previous file. You'll have to retype it. This is the problem that I am currently experiencing. I have not found a way to recreate the list. I've email Quark Support and am waiting for a reply.

Added:
Just got an email from Support about appending hyphenation exceptions from previous file. This is what I wrote:

"I am aware of the global hyphenation exceptions. However, the previous global Hyphenation Exceptions that I created was lost when the Xpress Preference file was damaged. It seems to me that if I am able to append other preferences from other files, then it should be possible to append hyphenation exceptions. What if my hyphenation exception lists contained hundreds of words (or thousands), am I to retype every one of those words individually if the preference file is damaged? Don't you think that the ability to append hyphenation exceptions should be an available option considering that most users will use the same exception repeatedly, just as other preferences, settings, or styles?"

This is Support's reply:

"If you set up a lot of Hyphenation exceptions, you should keep a backup of your Xpress Preferences file. However, I've forwarded your suggestions to the concerned department."
vom491

Postby Linda » 16 Nov 2005, 17:53

I have been requesting the Append Hyphenation feature since version 4.0. It hasn't happened yet.

So I asked on the Sic List, and Paul Durrant of Durrant Software stepped up and wrote one!!!!!!!!!!!!

durrantsoftware.co.uk, look for the Append Hyphenation Exceptions XT. You can use it to append hyphenation exceptions from one doc to another. Works FAB.

And no more waiting for Quark to add it to XPress.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Linda

Postby eyoungren » 16 Nov 2005, 18:28

Linda. And it appears you got a credit too? :D

http://www.durrant.co.uk/appendm.html
eyoungren

Postby Linda » 20 Nov 2005, 22:18

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]eyoungren:[/strong]Linda. And it appears you got a credit too?

Well, it was my request, and I beta tested, and flipped him some bucks for making my life SO MUCH EASIER! :-)

Paul's the greatest.
Linda

Postby JRS » 23 Nov 2005, 20:29

Linda,

I've always copied and pasted the resource when this came up, though I hesitate to suggest that to others. But that only lets you move one set of exceptions between preference files, not documents where they are just part of the file structure rather than resources.

Does this Xtension allow you to append from multiple file sources to combine all of their defined exceptions into a single master list? And does it let you append from files to the current preference file if you have no document open?

Thanks, John
JRS

Postby Linda » 27 Dec 2005, 10:27

[strong]JRS:[/strong]Does this Xtension allow you to append from multiple file sources to combine all of their defined exceptions into a single master list? And does it let you append from files to the current preference file if you have no document open?
Linda

Postby elijah jakow » 14 Jun 2010, 20:15

Hi all.
I downloaded the Append Hyphenation Exceptions XT from durrantsoftware.co.uk but it doesnt append on PC. It appears on utilities menu. Evrything works good but no result. I mean in document just appears old hyphenation exceptions. I cant copy or install new exceptions from other document.
How can I export and import hyphenation exceptions?
Thanks in advance
elijah jakow

Postby pdurrant » 20 Dec 2010, 03:08

Sorry to be so late with a reply. It took me a while to notice that the forums have a new home.
As to why it's not working I don't know. Which version of QuarkXPress are you using? I thought is was working OK for 4,5,6 & 7. There isn't an 8 version yet.
Paul D.
pdurrant

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: XTensions modules