Xtension to use to build flyers from database

Discuss QuarkXTensions® and third-party XTensions® software

Xtension to use to build flyers from database

Postby mlabonte » 31 Jul 2014, 15:58

I need to build simple flyers featuring a handful of items out of the 50,000+ that we carry. All of the information that i need to use lives in a spreadsheet/database. I need to avoid manually searching for each individual item in the database. Is there a way for me to take say a list of the items that i need, and automatically import the relevant information into Quark while having it formatted properly? Thanks for your help!
mlabonte

Re: Xtension to use to build flyers from database

Postby max.peter » 31 Jul 2014, 23:56

Yes, you can do this using placeholders, for importing a XML file (only in v. 7, 8 and 9 I guess, didn't try yet in v.10). Look in help files to learn more.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby MikeWenzloff » 05 Aug 2014, 13:22

XML went away in version 10. The 9.x series was the last version.

I am using XData from em software in QXP version 10:

http://emsoftware.com

It may or may not work for you. If I had something of that scale to do and needed to use QXP version 10, I would try their XCatalog.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby mlabonte » 06 Aug 2014, 07:20

Thanks Mike.
I contacted emsoftware and they had also suggested XCatalog which i have never used, nor do i have. My boss is persistent that we use XData, and they did say that it is possible to import using a list.They did say that it could be quite timely because it will have to cycle through the entire list for each item going in to the ad. Does anyone know if this would be worthwhile, or definitely too timely? I have built a very basic template, and would like to give the list a try. This is the formula emsoftware suggested to work with a list:

«fields blah, yeeha, foo, prodNbr¶
«if recordnumber(true) = 1¶
«ask "Enter a list of Product Numbers”¶
«put it into myList¶
«endif¶
«if prodNbr is in myList¶
========
=====the rest of your prototype here
========
«endif¶

Your list, in this case, could be return delimited, like:

12345¶
23456¶
34567¶
mlabonte

Postby MikeWenzloff » 06 Aug 2014, 08:59

I wouldn't be able to test it without a large data set, but how much time is really a relative thing.

XData would obviously need to compare all the input product numbers with every merge operation, and then build the merge for the output. I think the amount of time is more going to depend upon how many fields are in each record versus how many product numbers are being used in the merge, as well as how powerful the computer is doing the merge.

Building the prototype and testing it on a smaller subset of data will take longer than the merge (obviously). The download is a 30-day trial. With a small sub-set of the kind of data in each record, I would be happy to test it for you if you run into issues with the prototype.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: XTensions modules