How to control PDF version generated from QXPS

Discuss capabilities and share productivity tips about the server version of QuarkXPress.

Postby Thomas O » 19 Jan 2010, 04:37

I have been asked to supply pdf files from QXPS to a print house that requires the PDF version to be 1.3. I have tried setting the pdf verification settings to PDF/X-1a, but still gets PDF 1.4 out. Is there a way to tell QXPS to export PDF in a particular format?
Thomas O

Postby eyoungren » 19 Jan 2010, 04:50

I'm not familiar with QXPS, but I do know that trying to use PDF/X-1a to get a 1.3 PDF is futile. The standard for that setting is 1.4, so no matter how hard you try if you want a standard PDF with that setting it will be 1.4. Most likely you will have to open the PDF and save down from Acrobat. Or, if the server allows, print to PS and use Acrobat Distiller to get a 1.3 PDF. You may have to find an earlier version of Acrobat for this. I'm not sure versions 7/8/9 will go below 1.4.
eyoungren

Postby Arminder Singh » 19 Jan 2010, 05:40

Hi Thomas,

QuarkXPress Servers direct PDF output does not allow you to save in PDF 1.3 format: Erik's post is correct, the best way to achieve this would be to create PostScript and save out to a Distiller watch folder (using a request in the format http://server:port/saveas/postscript/do ... qxp?path=c:\distillerfolder&savetopool=false&newname=postscript.ps), assuming distiller can be configured to make the PDF format youre looking for.
You could alternatively set up the PDF preferences for QuarkXPress Server to always print Postscript for later distilling - when selecting this setting in the preferences, you can choose the watch folder for distiller: if this setting is made, then all PDF requests will be saved as Postscript to the Distiller watch folder, rather than using the Quark PDF engine.

Hope this information helps!
Arminder Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby ronwel » 19 Jan 2010, 05:45

If you Have Adobe Acrobat, you can use the "PDF Optimizer" option (under "Advanced"), in order to save your file as ver 1.3. When Optimizing your file, make sureyou change the file compatible with "Acrobat 4". This option is on the first screen, in the top right...."Make compatible with..."
ronwel

Postby mithsmile » 09 Dec 2010, 21:44

Thanks for the reply!

I'm using QuarkXPress 7.5.
reasons I'd want to use the item tool... For one, I wouldn't want to always have to hold down a modifier key to move things. If I'm just moving things around it would get tiresome holding the modifier key needlessly the whole time. Plus you cannot move groups with the modified content tool, which is common enough in my work to be reason enough in itself. The item tool must also be selected to copy/paste items.
The Quark 8 sounds like a dream... I hope we upgrade!
mithsmile

Return to QuarkXPress Server