font activation

Discuss capabilities and share productivity tips about the server version of QuarkXPress.

font activation

Postby tpyro » 23 Jan 2008, 17:20

I'm wondering what others are doing for font management. My company has a library with over 2000 fonts. We have a license for Suitcase but it doesn't seem to support auto-activation through Quark Server. I also tried FontExplorer X with no luck.
tpyro

font activation

Postby Paul Brown (Quark) » 24 Jan 2008, 18:32

Hey tpyro - I think this is a great question and would like to hear from more Server users as to any solutions that may be available. As for the availability of a Font Management XTension I am hoping there will be a solution in the near future. Please check back.

Perhaps, you could also explain exactly what you are looking to do. Are you looking to actively turn fonts on/off on a per document basis? Do you simply need to load a specific set on launch? Any insight would be helpful.

regards,
Paul Brown
QuarkXPress Server - Product Management
Paul Brown (Quark)

font activation

Postby dcastaneda » 28 Jan 2008, 13:32

I have the same issue as well. I had to resort to use Suitcase to activate fonts at startup - just add a boat load of RAM. I asked Extensis about this last year and decided to call again today and there are no plans for this Xtension at least not for my version of QuarkServer...
dcastaneda

font activation

Postby tpyro » 05 Feb 2008, 18:09

Strange - I didn't get a notification email for these posts.

Anyway, we have a large number of fonts (2000+) which we would like to have available to Quark Server. Our first goal is to have all fonts be available do any documents the server tries to render. We are just rendering PDFs from QXDs.

For some reason, even if I just ditch the font manager and load everything into ~/Library/Fonts, the PDFs end up receiving the default substitution font in many places.

If we can get that basic functionality working, the next step will be to use a font manager, so we can have per-customer font sets and keep the open fonts down to a reasonable number. But it's kind of a moot point until we can get the server to locate fonts reliably.
tpyro

font activation

Postby dcastaneda » 06 Feb 2008, 13:05

I just sent you a PM.
dcastaneda

font activation

Postby pjanssen » 08 Dec 2010, 22:55

I was wondering if there is news about font activation in QuarkXpress Server. Especially the "turn fonts on/off on a per document basis" would be very interesting. So something like Acrobat Distiller, where you can add a font location and if fonts are missing in the ps-file, Distiller looks in this location for them.
pjanssen

Return to QuarkXPress Server