Document Converter

Discuss converting legacy documents (version 6 or older) to be opened in QuarkXPress 10, 2015 & 2016 using the QuarkXPress Document Converter.
(Please note that documents last saved in version 7 and higher can be directly opened by QuarkXPress 10, 2015 & 2016!)

Re: Document Converter

Postby Elsinore » 18 Oct 2014, 11:32

... and certainly no offense to Sirish, but the problem IS the Doc Converter, not the layout file being tested. If the layout is corrupted somehow, it's coincidental. Completely deleting and replacing the initial Preferences folder that is auto-generated during the installation process should fix the problem. :)
Elsinore

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Oct 2014, 02:42

Hi Elsinore,

yes, the preferences are at the same place as for QuarkXPress: Either - by default - a local folder in your user folder or - which you can create - a global folder in the application folder for all your user accounts.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby tilmanlo » 30 Oct 2014, 15:42

Nice to have the document converter. I tried some folders and it works fine. But it can't handle files wit a dot in the filename (and sometimes a space). I'm working on a Mac. Maybe this could be resolved? Would be great…
tilmanlo

Postby PeteGurt » 20 Jul 2015, 13:38

This app still crashes on me every time I try to use it. I have tried to convert at least 10 different documents and they all crash. Is there a newer version coming soon? I have a lot of files that I can't use, because I can't open them.
PeteGurt

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 20 Jul 2015, 23:45

Hi PeteGurt,

Kindly share some the original projects which you tried to convert using the Document Convertor and crashing now after conversion, along with their fonts and images.

In case the attachment is large in size, you can perform Collect for Output and archive the CFO folder; then upload it to some file sharing site like Drop Box, We Transfer, etc. and send me the link. I will download the attachment from there. In case, you are uploading it to Drop Box you can share it with my email id: sinair@quark.com
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby PeteGurt » 21 Jul 2015, 07:54

Hi Sirish,
I can't open the files to perform a collect for output. So I ended up re-installing Quark 8 on an old machine. I was then able to open the older file and save it as a Quark 8 file. Then I was able to open it in Quark 2015 with no problem. Not a very convenient workaround, but the Document Converter just crashes with every file I try to open.
PeteGurt

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 21 Jul 2015, 08:14

Hi Pete,

Kindly share the original projects which you are you are trying to convert using the Document Convertor and which are crashing?

In case the attachment is large in size, you can upload it to some file sharing site like Drop Box, We Transfer, etc. and send me the link. I will download the attachment from there. In case, you are uploading it to Drop Box you can share it with my email id: sinair@quark.com
Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby PeteGurt » 21 Jul 2015, 08:22

I just sent you one of the files via We Transfer. Thanks!
PeteGurt

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 22 Jul 2015, 00:06

Hi Pete,

I received your file yesterday.
I'm sorry to say that the crash which you are facing while converting that file via QuarkXPress Document Converter is due to a problem with QuarkXPress 9 application itself. QuarkXPress Document is based on QXP 9 application and converts your legacy file to a QXP 9 file. In QuarkXPress 9, there is a crash on opening some legacy documents having images. The crash occurs in loading picture previews. The same crash is occuring while converting your file via QuarkXPress Document Converter.
It works fine with QXP 7 and QXP 8 applications.

I have opened your file in QXP 8 and have resaved it. I have shared the resaved file with you on Drop Box.
Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby PeteGurt » 22 Jul 2015, 09:06

Thanks Sirish for your help with this matter. I will keep Quark 8 on a old machine in order to retrieve any older files I need to have access to. Thanks again!
PeteGurt

PreviousNext

Return to QuarkXPress Document Converter