Document Converter results not acceptable

Discuss converting legacy documents (version 6 or older) to be opened in QuarkXPress 10, 2015 & 2016 using the QuarkXPress Document Converter.
(Please note that documents last saved in version 7 and higher can be directly opened by QuarkXPress 10, 2015 & 2016!)

Document Converter results not acceptable

Postby JWilheim » 14 Oct 2014, 14:31

Just installed QuarkXPress Document Converter for Windows on Windows 7 laptop.
Converted QXP4 document to QXP10 document.
QXP10 document had many problems with images: red background, images no longer fit in their picture boxes, etc.
Tried to attach documents to this post but after selecting document, when clicking Add to file button, got error message.
JWilheim

Re: Document Converter results not acceptable

Postby MikeWenzloff » 14 Oct 2014, 15:52

If the forum isn't allowing a file attachment, consider uploading to dropbox.com or the like and putting a link here.

I haven't used the converter much beyond a small folder of version 3.x files, but it did those fine. I'm also using Windows.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby omegaman » 14 Oct 2014, 17:46

There is just no way Document Converter or any of the Markzware Utilities can be a 100% accurate all the time, there's simply too many variables period.
27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.5 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9 and 2015 / Affinity Designer / Affinity Photo / Acorn / Pinegrow Web Designer
http://www.e-assistance.com.au
omegaman

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 15 Oct 2014, 00:08

The QuarkXPress Document converter is just a tool to convert your legacy QXP 3.x- 6.x document to QXP 9.1. Kindly note it doesn't convert it into a QXP 10 document. Also, the converter behaves the same same way as QXP 9.1 but without an UI. It just saves your document in 9.1 document version, the same way as you would do if you opened the document in QXP 9.1 and then save it.
On opening the converted document in QXP 10, if there are any issues then it will be with QXP 10 application and not with the converter.

Note: QXP document convertor only converts the legacy documents to 9.1 but does not upgraded its text flow version. Hence the text may reflow as QXP doesn't support text flow version below 7.0. When the document is opened in 10.x, the text flow version will get upgraded and will become equal to the document version. Therefore, the text will reflow. The same behavior occurs if you update the text flow version in 8.0/ 9.1, i.e. by opening the document by pressing Option/ Alt key and then save it.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby JWilheim » 15 Oct 2014, 08:05

"The QuarkXPress Document Converter is just a tool to convert your legacy QXP 3.x- 6.x document to QXP 9.1."
OK, I opened the converted document in QXP 9 and it looks fine.
But the whole idea of QuarkXPress Document Converter is to be able to open legacy documents in 10, not 9.
The first screen when the application is run says, "Converts documents created in QuarkXPress 3, 4, 5 and 6 to open in QuarkXPress 10 and newer."
I am not concerned about text flow. I am concerned about dozens of documents that can run to 700 pages, and have hundreds of images in them, that when run through the converter are bad -- red backgrounds, image not fit to picture box, etc. There are far too many issues to correct each one in each document.
Please provide an e-mail address to which I may send the Quark 4 document and the document created by the Document Converter. Again, today, the Upload Attachment process in this forum does not function.
JWilheim

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 16 Oct 2014, 03:38

Hi JWilheim,

Open your original legacy QXP 4 document in QXP 9 and then resave it. Then open the resaved document in QXP 10. How do the images in the document look? Do you see any difference when you open the converted document inn QXP 10. Your resaved document and converted document should exhibit the same behavior?

Kindly share your email id so that we can sen you a mail having an invitation to share your project and its assets (fonts, images)

~Sirish
Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby JWilheim » 16 Oct 2014, 13:59

The original Quark 4 document, opened in Quark 9, looks fine.
I saved it as a Quark 9 document, then reopened it in Quark 9, and it looks fine.
I opened the Quark 9 document in Quark 10 and it has the same problems as when run through the Document Converter -- images with red backgrounds, images that no longer fit their picture boxes, etc.
So, it appears the problem is with Quark 10; it can't properly display a Quark 9 document that was saved from an original Quark 4 document.
That is going to be a massive problem.
We support dozens of customer who have been thousands and thousands of Quark documents in Quark 4 through 8, as well as 9 and 10.
We told them all the buy at least one copy of Quark 9 before it cease to be available, so that if they ever wanted to upgrade to Quark 10 or higher, we could open their 4-8 documents, save them as Quark 9 documents, then be able to open the Quark 9 documents in Quark 10.
But based on what I am seeing, that is not going to work to any acceptable degree.
My e-mail is: jwilheim@brainworks.com
JWilheim

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 16 Oct 2014, 23:37

Hi JWilheim,

You will soon receive a mail from Quark having an invitation to share you projects and its assets (fonts and images). Kindly share your projects accordingly. It will help us to look into the issue.

~Sirish
Sirish Nair

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby boris » 01 Dec 2014, 04:25

I have the same problems exactly I have several books that need to be converted and the images no longer fit their boxes once I move from Xpress 7 to Xpress 10 whether I use document converter or Xpress 9 The only thing I can do is continue to use v.7 which is very unsatisfactory. Version 3 was the best Quark ever I just don't like v.10!!
boris

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 01 Dec 2014, 05:26

Have you updated to QuarkXPress 10.5 yet?
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress Document Converter