How to deactivate turning objects?! Please!!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

How to deactivate turning objects?! Please!!

Postby jaguar3000 » 04 Oct 2015, 05:18

I never need to turn the angle of things! But since X and 2015 this seems to be a totally important feature that so often things get turned because you software-engineers have chosen that to be so practical.
Please help at least to deactivate this totally unimportant feature, that makes designing with QuarkXPress less efficient and more bulky.
The reason why is still work with quarkXPress is because is is simple and quick and still not as bulky as Indesign.
If you keep on making it more complicated by adding features prominently that you never or hardly need, then I will be forced to switch to free open source software... I don't know where QuarkXPress is heading towards, but at least could somebody from quarkXPress tell me if I can deactivate the feature that makes it possible to turn objects, even though you actually just want to scale them??!!! I never or hardly need to turn objects, so why integrate this so prominently, something that probably most other users really don't need very often. Thanks.
jaguar3000

Re: How to deactivate turning objects?! Please!!

Postby jaguar3000 » 04 Oct 2015, 08:53

oh, yeah, its really annoying, just working on some stuff and then I see some frames that are like 0.2degrees off, at least quark has still a more or less usable control panel, (it was better and simpler before)... FIX THIS, this is so bad!
jaguar3000

Postby jaguar3000 » 04 Oct 2015, 08:55

do the software-engineers actually work with Quark? Like, do you actually do graphic design and layouts, or do you just want to make money by adding features that make life for graphic designers and layout designers more complicated?
jaguar3000

Postby MikeWenzloff » 04 Oct 2015, 10:32

jaguar3000 wrote:I never need to turn the angle of things! But since X and 2015 this seems to be a totally important feature that so often things get turned because you software-engineers have chosen that to be so practical.
Please help at least to deactivate this totally unimportant feature, that makes designing with QuarkXPress less efficient and more bulky.
The reason why is still work with quarkXPress is because is is simple and quick and still not as bulky as Indesign.
If you keep on making it more complicated by adding features prominently that you never or hardly need, then I will be forced to switch to free open source software... I don't know where QuarkXPress is heading towards, but at least could somebody from quarkXPress tell me if I can deactivate the feature that makes it possible to turn objects, even though you actually just want to scale them??!!! I never or hardly need to turn objects, so why integrate this so prominently, something that probably most other users really don't need very often. Thanks.

You evidently never need to rotate things, but I do. I haven't yet accidentally rotated a box.

But I also like options. I cannot find if there is a means of turning off rotation in the registry. So the option to turn off rotation would need to be a feature request--unless I am missing something. But I absolutely wouldn't want the ability to rotate to go away.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 05 Oct 2015, 02:18

jaguar3000 wrote:I never need to turn the angle of things! But since X and 2015 this seems to be a totally important feature that so often things get turned because you software-engineers have chosen that to be so practical.

Maybe you don't need it, but others do need it.
You want to switch to open source software? Well, it does not have an easy learning curve at all, I know what I'm saying because I'm using such software.
You can stop to another version, an elder one who does not have such "unimportant features".
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby jaguar3000 » 07 Oct 2015, 10:29

Thank you for your replies,

I was forced by quark to update to newer versions
and of course the "rotate"-function basically is nothing new,
but that it's not anymore a tool that you choose to use just when needed,
but literally every frame now has integrated "rotate"-function-corners
is what really is major design flaw and just a very bad idea.
Please, Dear Quark-Team, please reconsider this!
jaguar3000

Postby rickpoet » 07 Oct 2015, 13:59

I LOVE the rotate function, thank you "you software engineers" for including it.

R
rickpoet

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 08 Oct 2015, 02:25

Hi jaguar,

that's an interesting comment you make. In the past we heard from many customers of QuarkXPress that rotating was too difficult. You either had to manually enter a value or you had to use an non-intuitive rotation tool. Plus, in recent times more and more designers have started using other tools, such as illustration tools, where they got used to the rotation by mouse.

Therefore we decided to add that too. In our usability tests we found that nobody accidentally rotate the box, as the mouse cursor needs to be far out for that. I remember that our product manager Dan back then even adjusted the value a few times to find the right distance for the "switch" from scale to rotation and the right size of the handles.

I get your point, if you never rotate, why have this functionality. That's the dilemma of QuarkXPress being such a "horizontal markets" tool and everybody using it slightly different. Of cruse we could introduce a preference, but then soon QuarkXPress would be a difficult tool to use, as everything first needs to be configured and you'd have thousands of preference settings.

So please forgive us for going for what the majority of our customers want, at least that's what our research shows us. And I hope that soon you can get used to it and maybe even start loving it, should you ever need to rotate a box.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby RickLewis » 02 Jul 2017, 09:37

Hello Matthias, I would just like to add my voice to that of jaguar in begging to you provide an "off switch" for text box rotation.

I use QuarkXpress 2016 to edit and lay out a magazine. Often when I am working on the text within an article, and concentrating on that, I find that a small involuntary sideways movement of my fingertip on the pad suddenly rotates the entire text box (i.e. a column of the magazine page) by some random amount. This is very distracting. Actually, when the rotation amount is large (say, 10 degrees) then I can at least notice it easily and return the column to the unrotated position. In a way it is more of a problem when the rotation amount is small (say, 0.5 degrees). Then I don't notice it, yet it has an affect sometimes on the flow of text within the column. Also, if I don't spot it and correct it before we go to press, it can look bad if the rotation is enough to be detected by readers.

So I agree with jaguar - you have made it much too easy to make rotations. Please, please please give us an way to disable this irritating feature.

I appreciate that you may have not received many requests for this. It took me a lot of time on Google to find this discussion thread, while I was searching for some clue as to how to turn the feature off.
RickLewis

Return to QuarkXPress 2015: General