I give up. "Bad file format" is now the norm.

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

I give up. "Bad file format" is now the norm.

Postby Ericr23 » 06 Jan 2016, 15:15

I have been using QuarkXPress for some 25 years now, always preferring it as a professional typesetter’s page layout program. And I have been very satisfied with QuarkXPress 2015’s stability and power. So it makes me sick (almost literally, considering the days of work I’ve lost – for a freelancer, that’s real income) that I must now abandon it.

I have been able to work just fine creating my latest book project, involving 4-color graphics, including some PSD files (for the alpha-channel clipping), drop shadows, runarounds, and rotations, as well as callout anchoring. Each chapter file is only 20–30 pages long. I am able to complete and save the work without a problem. Autosaved backups were being made. Then I can’t reopen the files, including the backup versions, owing to “Bad file format [69]”. This is happening so consistently now that I give up. I’ve saved all of the Quark files (the completed book) in case some solution can be found, but meanwhile I’m starting over in Indesign, which I hate for typesetting and book layout, but at least it works.
Last edited by Ericr23 on 07 Jan 2016, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Ericr23

Re: I give up. "Bad file format" is now the norm.

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 07 Jan 2016, 00:32

Hello Eric,

I am really sorry that you had to recreate your layouts because of this issue.

We have not faced this issue while testing QuarkXPress 2015. Could you please share some of the layouts that you are not able to open now? We will try and find out what caused the error. Please PM your e-mail address so that I can help you.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 07 Jan 2016, 01:42

Also, could you please turn off “Auto Save” and “Auto Backup” for some days and check if you still face corruption in projects?
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby pjanssen » 07 Jan 2016, 05:10

Do you have QuarkXpress 11.2 installed?

I'm asking because we had a similar problem with documents created in 11.1, but I could open them with version 11.2. Also try to clean your caches (both image as fonts). To clean the image cache go to the Tools folder in the QuarkXPress program folder.

Another thing to try, if possible, open the document on another computer.
pjanssen

Postby Ericr23 » 07 Jan 2016, 11:19

Thank you for the suggestions. I should have stated that I do indeed have 11.2.0.1 on Mac El Capitan.

I cleaned the Quark image cache, as well as the font cache via FontExplorer X Pro. That changed nothing.

I had turned on autosave and autobackup because of the frequent “bad file format” results. I had also started to run QuarkXPress as the only application (other than the Finder) and quitting/restarting between each file.

So until this is resolved, I can no longer use Quark.
Ericr23

Postby HamDes » 24 Jan 2016, 19:57

I too have had this problem on one document. It is a 48 page handbook with very few images. I spent the whole day updating it from the 2015 version created in Quark 9.5 using Quark 11.2 and saved it in two places. When I went to re-open it – Bad File Format [69]. Tried everything to get it to open but had to resort to doing the whole thing over again. Worked fine the next few times I opened it and now I have just tried to open two different copies of the file (one on my hard drive, one on a remote drive) and same message. When you try to open the document it shows the page size as something ridiculous like 5277 x 4988mm – it should be A6!

I too have been using Quark since version 3 and up until now have been pleased with Quark 2015, but I am very worried that this is going to start happening to other files. Plus I cannot believe that I am going to have to do this job for a third time.

Any advice welcome.
HamDes

Postby Ericr23 » 24 Jan 2016, 20:45

I sent sample files, but am still awaiting a response. Meanwhile, I'm working in Indesign and no longer enjoy the typesetting and composition of books. Please bring Quark back to me!
Ericr23

Postby Sirish Nair (Quark) » 24 Jan 2016, 23:13

Hi HamDes,

Have your enabled Auto Save or Auto Back up in Preferences? The problem could be with some particular image/s in the document?
What kind of updations did you do in the document?
Could you kindly share the project with which you facing the problem? We will try to analyze it and help recover it for you. Kindly share the project along with its images. You can mail to me at sinair@quark.com
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Ericr23 » 24 Mar 2017, 14:52

Late follow-up: QuarkXPress 2016 has been great!
Ericr23

Return to QuarkXPress 2015: General