Dialog boxes gone? Please say it isn't so.

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Please note that Quark will support QX2015 until Nov 30, 2018.

Re: Dialog boxes gone? Please say it isn't so.

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Jun 2016, 09:06

Hi HZ,

almost nothing is impossible but everything comes at a cost. User Interface additions are one of the most time consuming features, not only for implementation, also for testing. Plus, as these are keyboardable, they require testing in the 40-somethign UI languages QuarkXPress supports with several keyboard combinations. And – worse – if you want it to be optional, it requires a preferences and then double the testing again to make sure measurement palette and dialogs work.

So that the cost. What's the benefit? If there was a huge productivity gain, that's definitely something we'd spend implementation time on.

So we asked: On Facebook there was a long discussion and so far nobody mentioned a productivity improvement other than "we are used to it since version 3". Additionally, people using other applications and/or migrating to QuarkXPress mentioned that the dialogs in QuarkXPress 9 feel outdated and hinder performance.

Here's the table I posted on Facebook:
(and you should really join it, there are dozens of new posts everyday, customers commenting what they like, what they need, where we can improve. In case if you have never used a Facebook Group, it's like a forum, much different from a personal timeline or a Page)

We had asked before. When we ask that last (survey in 2014), most of our customers had other priorities, such as multi-color blends.

So do you really ask us to spend a lot of time on implementation and not on additional features that you might require?

Does that explain it or help to understand?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby HeroZero » 23 Jun 2016, 12:05

Oh, no.
Don't spend time for time consuming developments. (Irony, you know...)
The only thing I simply can not understand that: WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH THE OLD MODIFY WINDOW?
Was it messy? No. The new one is.
Was it confused? No. The new one is.
Was it intricate? No. The new one is.
Was it easily usable? Yes. The new one is not.
When I work, I like work fast, smoothly. But now I have to find all the right fields, I have to look for the hardly recognizable hieroglyphs, thus I have to spend time for this annoying things. And lots of users also spend their time to these things, the time that might have been spent for development.
I feel somehow that the developers/sales experts had an idea to make something DIFFERENT, something NEW, something FRESH, and not something BETTER.
This is the point.
HeroZero

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 Jun 2016, 01:35

Hi HZ,

of course everybody sees it differently and as I posted above, opinions differ about it. Some love it, some like it, some accept it, some hate it. Hopefully you'll see its advantages too after using it for a while.

Currently we see that the majority of our customers either likes it immediately or is puzzled about the different UI at first sight and after using it for a while likes it, especially as key board commands are still the same, so no need to retrain muscle memory.

We'll ask about it again in our next survey (most likely in fall) to see whether that still holds true.

Thank you
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 2015: General