Slow saves?

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Slow saves?

Postby jgold723 » 03 Mar 2016, 13:20

Has anyone experienced significantly slow saves? I'm on a Mac pro with 16GB ram and usually no performance issues. But I've found that as my Quark document grows (its up to 100 pages) the saves have gotten slower and slower. They can take up to 10-15 seconds now, which is much longer than QX9 ever was with documents of this size.

I haven't done any testing, but I'm open to suggestions.
jgold723

Re: Slow saves?

Postby MikeWenzloff » 03 Mar 2016, 14:15

I'm on a PC and do larger books with illustrations and haven't experienced that issue. When I have read about this issue for another product, it often has to do with one of a few things, network drives, virus software checking the file during a save, saving to a folder that is automatically backed up to a cloud storage or synced with a attached back up drive. That sort of thing.
MikeWenzloff

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 06 Mar 2016, 23:46

Mike has provided some good points here. Here are a few things that you can try:

1. Save the file on the desktop and see if that makes a difference.
2. Try saving some other file of a comparable size.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby jgold723 » 07 Mar 2016, 06:27

It is being saved to the machine's hard drive and not onto an external drive or cloud service. I haven't checked other files, but I will to see if that makes a difference.

I do notice that the first time I open the document, make a change and save, that save is significantly long... at least 30 seconds. Subsequent saves are quicker, but still, slow.
jgold723

Postby jgold723 » 03 Aug 2016, 07:38

For what it's worth to anyone else who is following this thread: I recently upgraded the hard drive on my machine to an SSD (Solid State Drive) and that has made a big difference in the saving time, cutting it at least in half. It also improved most other functions on my machine.

That said, I still think the saving function in Quark has gotten slower with the recent releases and I'm hoping Quark will address it.
jgold723

Postby niztron » 11 Nov 2016, 01:15

You think thats bad, I can press save, walk into the office kitchen, make a coffee, drink said coffee, wander back to my desk, open a magazine, read a couple of articles, ponder my navel and ill still be waiting a few minutes for my document to save. I've timed some saves as long as 15 minutes. File sizes pushing 700mb+ and ive already trimmed the number of pages in each section to about 15-20.

Even recreating totally new files has not improved it significantly. Its become a completely useless piece of software.
niztron

Postby jgold723 » 11 Nov 2016, 06:13

Ugh -- maybe you can squeeze a workout into that time as well and that way you'll extend your life long enough to actually see the document save...

OK, the humor might be lost there. Another follow up - I also upgraded to QXP 2016 and that helped a little bit as well, although not as dramatically as the hardware upgrade. But clearly something has changed and I hope Quark will address this.
jgold723

Return to QuarkXPress 2015: General