Headline spanning columns

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2015 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Headline spanning columns

Postby rasbob » 18 Nov 2016, 13:55

Hello,

This feels like a question which should have an easy answer but I have looked extensively online and not found the solution, so i wonder if anyone here can help. I need to span section titles across multiple columns. Is there a way? I understand there used to be a Gluon plugin for this but Gluon don't seem to exist anymore. Any help much appreciated!

Marcus.
rasbob

Re: Headline spanning columns

Postby MikeWenzloff » 18 Nov 2016, 14:02

https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxp ... FucyxzcGFu

It may or may not end up having a UI means of so doing, but this means is easy enough after the first time.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby rasbob » 18 Nov 2016, 16:09

Many thanks for this, I will give it a go.....
rasbob

Postby rasbob » 21 Nov 2016, 12:23

Finally had a chance to look at this. I see the sample document and an XML job jacket file. I can see within the xml the setting for spanning columns. However I have no idea how to apply all this to the document I am working on! Any clues would be appreciated.....
rasbob

Postby MikeWenzloff » 21 Nov 2016, 20:14

If you downloaded the ZIP file I had uploaded in that thread, more or less follow the directions I gave Julie--reproduced below.

Mike Wenzloff Hi Julie. Try the ZIP file from dropbox I have put here. Just UnZip it someplace like your desktop or in a folder on you computer.

One way to use the XML and so it will be linked is to do a File | New | From Job Ticket. Navigate to the XML file, then select it. After that, changes to the XML are reflected live in the new file.

You can also just open the QXP file included, or even Append the styles from it to a new or existing document. The Span attributes are part of the styles definitions though there are no means of changing them in the UI.

And...

Mike Wenzloff Oh. When you open the QXP, it will likely not have the text display properly--this is something Q will need to fix before Prime Time. If this happens (and it always does to me) then just grab one of the frame handles, move it slightly and move it back. It's enough to make the text display properly.

Also, do note that as Matthias wrote, it is an experimental feature--hence the redraw issue. It does work and doesn't hog resources in my testing, unlike with ID where too many spans can have a serious performance impact. Hopefully this will be a finished off feature in a future update.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby rasbob » 22 Nov 2016, 07:43

Awesome, thank you very much!
rasbob

Postby MikeWenzloff » 22 Nov 2016, 09:24

You're most welcome.

If you get hung up on something, just let us know.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 2015: General