Character altered

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Character altered

Postby Ray200 » 10 Jan 2017, 11:39

Hi all,
I'm having problems when exporting a Quark file as a PDF. To explain: there are characters in the text with various accents, circumflexes etc. All looks fine in Quark, but after I export as a PDF I note that the "Ò" character displays the accent in the wrongplace. It prints as an "O" with the accent stuck in the middle of it. It seems that all upper case letters have the same issue, ie, the accents are moved down and no longer float above the letters. I've tried different fonts without success too. What is also strange is that I have a jpg picture acting as a semi-opaque background, and when I remove this the accents suddenly appear in their correct places in the PDF. Can anyone figure this out? Other than possibly typing an "Ò" in Photoshop and inserting it into Quark as a picture, I can't see any way to get around this problem.
Any help VERY gratefully accepted.

Best,
Ray
Ray200

Re: Character altered

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Jan 2017, 12:40

Hi Ray, what a weird problem. I am not experiencing the issue here, but likely I am not using the same font and o the samer font type.

What font and format of font are you using?

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 10 Jan 2017, 13:10

Hello Ray,

What is also strange is that I have a jpg picture acting as a semi-opaque background, and when I remove this the accents suddenly appear in their correct places in the PDF.

This could be a transparency issue.
Try to export your layout to PDF using Native Transparency. If the text in the resulting PDF is unaltered, this is the answer.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby Ray200 » 10 Jan 2017, 14:25

Hi Mike,
I've used Times New Roman, Aerial, Tahoma and Calibri--all with the same result. Format is standard (I assume you mean bold, italicised etc?). I would add an attachment to explain it better but can't see that facility here.

Ray
Ray200

Postby Ray200 » 10 Jan 2017, 14:39

I have Quark 8, the only option I can see in the Transparency section is "Ignore Transparency Flattening". This is unticked. I ticked it, just to see what would happen, and the resultant PDF printed only the jpg background image (with no transparency) whilst removing the text box. I'm not a Quark expert by any means, so I'm willing to be led on this.
Completely baffled why upper case letters are affected by the image underneath. But, as I wrote originally, imagine a capital letter with an accent (eg, Ü, À, or Ò), export as a PDF and see the letter remain as it should be but the accent move 2-3 points down. Lower case is okay. Wholly confused.

Best,
Ray
Ray200

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Jan 2017, 16:54

Ah. You've posted in the Q 2015 / 2016 section of the forum. That's why the recommended PDF option isn't there.

I still have version 9 installed, but not 8. I'll fire it up later and see if I have issues. I'll be back in a bit...

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Jan 2017, 17:10

OK, started Q9 and tried it. At least with this image and this text set in TNR, I don't get the problem.

Does this happen with all documents, new and old? All images? If so, it may be that deleting preferences will cure the ills. But if you would like, wait for someone with version 8 to perhaps drop by. Or post on FB, I know there are some people with version 8 there. It would be the closed group to post at, but Quark's main page may also work for you.

If you want to, you could also try zipping up a sample that exhibits the problem, upload to dropbox or the like and post a reply that contains the download link.

Mike

Edit to add a screen shot...

capture-000671.jpg
capture-000671.jpg (248.72 KiB) Viewed 805 times
MikeWenzloff

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 11 Jan 2017, 00:03

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Quark.

Kindly share the project with CFO to isolate the issue. Also, verify the fonts are selected to download in the fonts tab of output dialog options.

Kindly download QXP 2016 trial version and verify the issue is still occurring or not and let us know your result.

Kindly send the files to apalaniappan@quark.com

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Ray200 » 11 Jan 2017, 05:46

Oops! Mea culpa. I thought this section was for general problems with exporting PDFs. Hopefully, someone will see this anyway. If it helps here are the screen shots, on my flickr acc., of the problem:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146774534 ... 868676700/

One shot is taken in Quark, where the upper case is fine; the other is taken after exporting to PDF, where the accent somehow drops down.

Also, A Palaniappan, font does seem to be okay in the fonts section of the Export to PDF section. However, I'll send the screen shots to you directly. Many thanks for offering to look at them.

Best,
Ray
Ray200

Postby UtahLlama » 12 Jan 2017, 05:31

Native Transparency option was introduced with quark 8.1, you should be able to upgrade for free to 8.5.
UtahLlama

Next

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)