How to keep PDF options from changing

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows

How to keep PDF options from changing

Postby LyleM » 25 Aug 2017, 15:28

I'm using 2017 and trying to output a PDF for a CreateSpace book and having a number of issues:
1 ) When I go down the list of Export as PDF options, I keep having the program reset a previous set of options after I've moved to a different option. Is there a sequence I need to follow to have it remember such things as include blank pages, title name, etc?
2 ) I confess I'm not a PDF genius but I need to provide a flattened PDF to CreateSpace and have selected "Press-High Quality/High Resolution" with PDF/X-1a: 2001 verification. Does this sound reasonable?
3 ) I never see anything that says the verification worked. Do you get any type of message to confirm?
LyleM

Re: How to keep PDF options from changing

Postby MikeWenzloff » 25 Aug 2017, 23:02

Hello Lyle,

(1) Q should automatically use the last settings. However, because of the use "Captured Settings" when one exports, it can almost appear they have changed. But the settings last used themselves should not be changing. I really would like Q to display the profile last used unless I have manually altered them.

However, I would recommend creating an Output Style for CreateSpace and name it so. Then when you export, always select it from the drop down box in the Export window. That's what I do for all my regular print services.

(2) CreateSpace likes--or at least it use to. I don't know if they have moved on to PDF/X-3 or not. Some other PODs have. If I was making a new submission to CS, I would want to check for certain.

(3) There is only a message if for some reason a PDF fails validation.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby LyleM » 26 Aug 2017, 13:28

Thanks Mike,

I'll have to try and figure out how to save the settings so I can just load them.

I used Quark years ago and am trying to relearn everything I've forgotten so that's my first problem. Then I'm trying to eventually end up with a CreateSpace book so that's problem number 2. I think I've finally figured out all of the PDF related settings and that was a major hurdle.

It's getting better so if I try this again, it probably won't hurt so bad!
LyleM

Postby LyleM » 02 Sep 2017, 11:35

Mike,

Thanks for suggesting that I create an Output Style. That works perfectly and now all I have to do is select it and it applies all of my settings.
LyleM

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)