white border inside picture frame

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows

white border inside picture frame

Postby PeggyArlene » 15 Nov 2017, 13:43

I recently had Quark2017 installed on my machine. When I went to print my newsletter, I noticed there was a small white edging between the right and bottom of my pictures and the black frame I had put around it. The picture was of ample size that it wasn't a positioning problem. Looked fine on the screen. I ended up exporting as a PDF and printing the PDF. That worked just fine. But is there something in Quark that I can set so it doesn't do this when I print directly? Appreciate any advice that's out there!
PeggyArlene

Re: white border inside picture frame

Postby MikeWenzloff » 15 Nov 2017, 15:50

Hello Peggy,

It may help Quark to know what the printer is and whether it is a PostScript printer or not. Might even help to create a single page publication with an image that exhibits this behavior and either upload it here or to dropbox or the like for Quark to look at.

Though I (almost) never print direct from any application, I just tried printing a page direct from Q2017 to a couple different local printers and failed to get this effect.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby PeggyArlene » 15 Nov 2017, 17:01

I'm printing to a Canon iR-ADV C7260. I do have the option to select a PostScript driver; however, I typically print to the UFRII driver as (even though they say colors are supposed to be better with the PostScript), I find the colors come across better with the UFRII. If I put my photos in Word and print them, they come out fine. So I thought it was a Quark issue. But then the Quark file prints fine with the PostScript driver. Do you think this is a Quark thing or a printer thing?
PeggyArlene

Postby MikeWenzloff » 15 Nov 2017, 18:50

Hi Peggy,

It's at least an issue with how Q is using the preferred print driver.

How an application directly sends the print data and how Acrobat or Reader (well, likely any PDF reader) sends the print data is different. The same applies to PostScript data and non-PS data. PostScript is simply more accurate in its page/element description both as it is processed for printing by an application and what/how the printer processes it.

I *think* non-layout software rasterizes as the data is processed for printing at a lower resolution and with layout software, it's all up to the print driver to rasterize the data. I think...

I don't know what a real solution is beyond simply recommending to use Acrobat/Reader to print from to the preferred driver versus printing to the PostScript driver. This issue would likely take Quark to analyze that particular driver and how QXP is using it.

Sorry I couldn't say just push this button or the like and it'll work!

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby PeggyArlene » 16 Nov 2017, 08:48

Thanks, Mike!
I appreciate your talking me through this!
Peggy
PeggyArlene

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)