Export PDF with Bitmap images

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows

Export PDF with Bitmap images

Postby tbottman » 14 Oct 2015, 14:00

I attempted to export a press quality PDF, and ran into PDF errors. I finally converted all the 1200 dpi bitmap images to grayscale, and the PDF was fine. Anyone else? Any way to use bitmap images with PDF output?
tbottman

Re: Export PDF with Bitmap images

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 15 Oct 2015, 02:38

Hi tbottman,

Thank you for contacting Quark.

It seems to the compression settings applied in the Compression tab of the PDF output options is causing this issue.

Kindly set the Grayscale Images Compression to None and and output the Bitmap images and verify.

In case the issue is still occurs kindly send your email ID to apalaniappan@quark.com

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby andrewbarnett » 15 Oct 2015, 02:46

Yes, similar issues here. When Quark 2015 was new, it would hardly output any bitmaps or eps at all for me to pdf. In the latest version it does output most (but NOT all) bitmaps, although the quality is really poor compared with identical-setting outputs from Quark 10.

I have tried setting the Grayscale (and Monochrome) Image Compression to None but the bitmaps still look terrible compared with what Quark 10 produced.

Quite frankly this makes Quark 2015 virtually unusable, as my customers usually supply bitmap logos, and greyscale output is a compromise at best that is noticeably worse when printed. I am hugely disappointed that Quark hasn't fixed this in all the months since Q2015 has been available, when previous versions worked just fine.
andrewbarnett

Postby 2c2t » 23 Nov 2015, 13:17

I agree. This is a QuarkXPress 2015 bug that needs to be fixed. The only way I can get black and white, bitmapped, line art images (.tif or .pdf) to export properly to a PDF is to "keep resolution" for color, grayscale, AND monochrome images in the Export to PDF compression menu. This is OK for a high-resolution, ready for print PDF, but if my layout contains mixed line art and grayscale images and I want to produce a low-resolution PDF proof for my client to approve, I have to "keep resolution" to export pages with line art images, and then allow resolution to be reduced when I export the pages with grayscale images. Finally I have to combine the two (or more) resultant PDFs into one PDF that I can email to my client. A real pain. I think part of the problem is that Quark seems to see or process black and white line art images as grayscale. At least when I import a bitmapped line art image, Quark incorrectly reports that it is a grayscale image.
2c2t

Postby andrewbarnett » 24 Nov 2015, 02:46

I know what you mean. By messing around with the compression settings A LOT, I can normally manage to output something acceptable without the file size being huge. But no previous Quark version made me do this. What's worse, I have experienced numerous crashes when exporting to pdf, and more than once this has erased most of all of my saved output styles. So the issue has cost me hours or days of lost time.

Otherwise I really like Quark 2015, but this is a bad issue and I feel that - as a paying customer and loyal Quark user since 1993 - I'm being used as an unpaid guinea pig to fix things that definitely should have been picked up pre-release. My colleagues using InDesign are smirking and teasing.
andrewbarnett

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)