Xpress 2015 and Transparency

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows

Xpress 2015 and Transparency

Postby medusa_2002 » 17 Nov 2015, 04:16

Hallo XPress People!

Are there any known issues about XPress 2015 (iMac Mac OS 10.10.5) and transparencies using PSD Files? After a clean installation of XPress 2015 my PSD files with transparencies do have a white background, in the preview and even when exporting as a X4 PDF. After an update to XPress 11.2 the bug was gone for a few days. But today it happened again. At the moment the only solution is to export the project as X3 PDF file, because all the transparencies will be reduced. Any X4 Pdf file will have the white background again. The buggy preview persists. The PSD File are very simple: only one layer 1 with Artwork on , no (clipping-)path.

Thank you very much for any help!

Stefan
medusa_2002

Re: Xpress 2015 and Transparency

Postby MikeWenzloff » 17 Nov 2015, 11:24

Stefan,

I am using Windows, but cannot imagine there's a difference in what you are experiencing due to the OS.

All my transparent PSDs (with and without clipping masks), whether single layer or, as is often the case, more than a single one (usually an adjustment layer), work just fine in 2015 and going to PDF/X-4. They also import with this transparency in the picture box.

Is it possible to select just the picture box and change its background to no color and have it work properly? Or does Q indicate that there background is already transparent?

If the box has a white background that can be made transparent and it output correctly, it may be that there is an object default on the picture box that loads them with a white background.

Failing the above, would it possible to share one such PSD that fails?

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby medusa_2002 » 18 Nov 2015, 02:32

Hello Mike,

thanks you very much for your reply. Yesterday I found a first workaround:
The projects were made with Xpress 6.5 / 7 and it seems that 2015 is a little bit sensitive with these old picture links. When the link to the picture is updated the image has it's transparency again. Please notice, that the status of the link was ok even before it has been updated manually. Everything is fine when using such an image in a new document , too.
I think this shows that it's a Xpress related problem. Perhaps it will be fixed in the next Update cycle.

Regards

Stefan
medusa_2002

Postby reixirei » 20 Nov 2015, 09:00

Hello! I'm having the same exact problem, every time I want to work with a document created on any Quark before 2015 (which is all the time), I can´t use .psd images. It doesn't matter if I update them, the only thing that works is starting over again and redoing my work on a new Quark 2015 document, which is pretty annoying when you have big documents. This same problem I had with Quark 10, I even redid lots of my biggest works to be able to work with them, but they don´t work now. I can´t be doing this every time I update Quark :(
Please, help me!
reixirei

Postby medusa_2002 » 24 Nov 2015, 03:52

Hi,

have you tried trashing your preference files?

https://quark.parature.com/link/portal/ ... uarkXPress

Kind regards

Stefan
medusa_2002

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)