Quark 2015 changing placed PDF's upon output

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows

Re: Quark 2015 changing placed PDF's upon output

Postby MikeWenzloff » 28 Dec 2016, 18:20

Hi Bill,

I did miss that logo problem this go round.

I think that logo is a case of garbage in, garbage out. Even though ID exports it OK, the logo is shot. The logo seems to have been a bitmap that was traced, or a poor job of making a bitmap transparent but still saving as a vector. Or something. I think where Q is falling down on it is that it is a masked bitmap.

If I didn't have control over the source files that made the PDF, I would either edit the PDF and remove the logo and replace it, or simply open the PDF in PS and flatten it.

In any case, I went to the web site and downloaded an EPS of the logo, added it to the PDF and the output is great...

capture-000606.png
capture-000606.png (176.06 KiB) Viewed 861 times

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 29 Dec 2016, 05:01

The real problem is what kind of pdfs are forwarding clients.
Some of them can receive necesary fixups (using Acrobat Pro Preflight utility) before inserting in a QXP layout. First of all, the client's pdf must be checked for compliance with a certain standard.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby nagarj » 30 Dec 2016, 07:48

Thanks, Mike. The real problem here, for us, is that since we can't trust Quark to output PDF's correctly with native transparency we simply can't risk it. It's a nightmare trying to identify all of the output errors in a large book containing a hundred or more placed PDF's. Too easy to miss some. But when set to flatten transparency Quark makes different output mistakes. So it's a constant game of workarounds. I hope they fix this awful bug soon.
nagarj

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 03 Jan 2017, 02:30

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Quark and sharing the files.

I have re-verfied the output with QXP 2016 update (12.2.1) and please find the details:

File Name: MV-DPS16.pdf

- The output is incorrect (e.g the logo of Massaghusettes) is not outputting corctely in native output.
- The output is fine in flatttened output.

File Name: Marriotts-DPD16.pdf

- The output is incorrect in native output. (e.g. Rewarded text is not outputting correctly)

File Name: Pilmoth-DPD16.pdf

- The output is incorrect in native output. (e.g. Mayflower text)

For the above said issues I have reported the defects.

Kindly let me know the issues which you are facing in flattened output. (Please send the files with the issue details to apalaniappan@quark.com)

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby nagarj » 03 Jan 2017, 08:00

@ A Palaniappan

Thanks very much for your attention to this.

Here are more test files showing the additional output problems as you requested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogfmnfsc6npnx ... e.zip?dl=0

Output errors occur when Quark is set to flatten transparency and when it is set to to output transparency natively:

• In the flattened PDF, you can see that the drop shadow under the headline is correct. But big black bars appear that shouldn't be there.

• In the PDF output with native transparency, no big black bars appear, but as you can see the drop shadow outputs incorrectly.

There seems to be no way to get Quark to output this page correctly.

Thanks,
Bill
nagarj

Postby A Palaniappan (Quark) » 05 Jan 2017, 23:49

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Quark and sharing the files.

I have analyzed the issue and the issue was reproducing at our end also. The text box which resulting incorrect output in native and flattening is corrupted.

It can be verified by the following steps:

- Enable the guides
- Move the text box into the pasteboard area
- Draw one text box and one picture box and observe.

- Picture box will show x in the box region (blue colored)
- Text box wouldn't show the x box region (blue colored inside the box as x)
- In the text box which is having the text with drop shadow will show both. (corrupted)

Kindly perform the following steps and let me know the results:
- Uncheck the drop shadow.
- Select the text with content tool and copy.
- Draw another text box and paste it and re-apply the drop shadow again.
- Output with native/flattening and observe.

If you find any issues kindly send the CFO to apalaniappan@quark.com

Please try to recollect in which steps this has happened at your end, it will be very helpful to isolate and report the defect for the corruption.

Thanks
A. Palaniappan
A Palaniappan (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby nagarj » 07 Jan 2017, 15:39

A Palaniappan (Quark)

I was able to reproduce your results. The problem is fixed simply by creating a new text box. This is extremely helpful since it provides a practical workaround.

This Quark file was originally created years ago by an outside firm. So I have no info to give you about how that corrupt text box may have come to be.

Thank you very much for the excellent response. I hope Quark will release a fix to the much bigger problem we also just discussed regarding corrupted output of some placed PDF's with native transparency preserved.

Take care,
Bill
nagarj

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)