Black changes to cmyk on output

Discuss PDF Export and Print functionality of QuarkXPress 2015, 2016 & 2017, including PDF/X workflows

Black changes to cmyk on output

Postby cathp » 29 Sep 2016, 03:26

Hi, I notice someone else has posted about a similar problem but in Quark 2016 and there didn't appear to be an explanation or answer!

I use Quark 2015 and have come across an issue where part of the black text on placed pdfs was converted to cmyk on outputting my full lay down pdf from quark.
On the sheet there were bits of artwork created in quark and pasted in and also placed pdfs of artwork created in illustrator.
When I then saved the sheet as on eps and distilled it (our usual output method so nothing different) the resulting pdf showed that all the quark artwork was fine - all the black text was still 100% k but all the illustrator artwork had been converted to cmyk.

As this had never happened before with our years of using other versions of Quark we weren't expecting it and with it being a sheet that did have a four colour section logo on as well it slipped through the system un-noticed, luckily our skilled printer managed to get the registration pretty spot on on the job!
I have since gone back and tried remaking the pdf and I always get the same result, what can be causing it? could it be a setting i have wrong? as most of our jobs have single colour black backs this is going to cause major problems if it keeps happening as I just can not find a way of keeping this black as black.

Can anyone shed an light on this and help?
cathp

Re: Black changes to cmyk on output

Postby MikeWenzloff » 29 Sep 2016, 10:30

Hi cathp,

I don't know for sure. And without sample files I don't think I can even guess.

Does it happen if you export to PDF versus EPS? Does this happen if you export to PDF using the 100% K profile?

About the only time I have even experienced an issue was with imported EPS files that were in the RGB color space or had the elements of the EPS colored in RGB.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby cathp » 29 Sep 2016, 11:37

Hi Mike,

I have had another play and if I export as a pdf without changing any settings so the default style it is fine, if I use PDF/X 1a or 3 it changes to cmyk if I use PDF/X 4 it is okay again.
If I save as eps and then distill it it seems to change to cmyk whatever the distiller setting is on.

The way the sheet is made up is in two halves each one planned up pdf'ed then imposed onto the larger sheet each of the half sheet pdfs is fine it only appears to be when making the full sheet pdf that the problem occurs.

As I have been using Quark 7 until recently I hadn't spotted the 100% K profile in the export to pdf menu so thats a great help you pointing it out thanks! While it wouldn't have helped this sheet with it having a 4 colour logo on it, it is nice to know there is a way to get round the problem if it occurs again on a simple black only sheet.
Having tested it with the problem sheet all the black text that was converting stays as 100% k when exported as a pdf or saved as an eps and distilled.

Would still be nice to work out what happened!

Cath
cathp

Postby MikeWenzloff » 29 Sep 2016, 17:05

Hi Cath,

It's odd that the Quark pdfs that were ok turn out to have an issue once imposed back in Q. If I am understanding correctly that is. I'll give that scenario a try. I'll reinstall Q2015 on another computer as I only have version 9 and 2016 on my main computer.

I impose using an Acrobat plug-in instead of doing it in-application and haven't run into the issue in the past with it.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 20xx: Output (Printing & PDF Export)