Quark 2016 - Copygrabber Xtension

Discuss third-party XTensions® software for QuarkXPress 2015 and QuarkXPress 2016.
As the API hasn't changed between 2015 & 2016 versions, most XTension running in QuarkXPress 2015 should also work in QuarkXPress 2016.

Quark 2016 - Copygrabber Xtension

Postby scmacca » 24 May 2017, 09:43

Hi out there. Just updated to Quark 2016 and it seems like my copygrabber xtension is now outdated. Is there anything new in this version of quark or anything else out there that will let me grab my columns of type and delete or copy/paste just that column
scmacca

Re: Quark 2016 - Copygrabber Xtension

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 May 2017, 09:53

Have you contacted Meadows Publishing about if they were ever going to update these XTensions?

I am unaware of any XTensions that replicate some of the functions of the Meadows XTensions.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby scmacca » 24 May 2017, 10:27

Thanks Mike. I did. The sales guy kind of chuckled and was appalled I was still using quark :(
scmacca

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 May 2017, 13:14

That's alright, I'm kinda appalled with their prices. So that makes them and me even...I think the day has passed for extensions that cost as much as an application. Except when there is no choice and one needs it, of course. Their salesman's attitude reminds me of when Quark itself was shortsighted concerning the Mac computer. Meadows really ought to have a rethink about that statement.

I would think a decent text editor that can switch to column mode like UltraEdit would be useful here, but would require extra steps. But I wouldn't know without seeing a sample of what it is you are doing.

Mike

Edit, I suspect that is you on the Q closed Facebook page as well? It's a good group.
MikeWenzloff

Postby scmacca » 24 May 2017, 15:24

Hi Mike, yes that is me on the facebook page also. Panicking as we just upgraded and i'm at my wits end. Mainly it's tables in quark that I may have to move into another position, or delete one column and move it 2 columns over, or I sometimes have text coming to me last name first and i usually make it into tabs and grab the last name and move it. I mean pretty basic stuff so I am surprised there is no way to do it. And you are right, the last time I bought that extension it was $250, which is ridiculous but it was necessary. I will look into ultra edit and see if that works. thanks!
scmacca

Postby MikeWenzloff » 24 May 2017, 15:51

I tried UE. Once a table is converted to text, a copy paste into UE and add a tab at the end of the lines view find/replace, column mode, highlight, cut, move over to the end and paste. Then leave column mode, copy paste back to Q and make a table from the result works. It can also be slightly automated if needed.

But one can also just copy from Q, paste into Excel, move the column, copy and paste back in Q as well. Which is likely easier and works with any spreadsheet application.

We have a really good XTension maker on the FB page as well. I'll ping him and see if he is interested. I use his PDF importer nearly every day. And he is, if anything, under priced.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby scmacca » 24 May 2017, 16:00

Thank you Mike. Seems pretty complicated the way you are describing. Don't think that's the way to go for me. It was so darn easy with copygrabber. Grab it, copy it, paste it, or delete it and done. So this person makes his own xtensions? Sounds good to me if it works. Thank you.
scmacca

Return to QuarkXPress 2015/2016: XTensions modules for QuarkXPress 2015/2016