Another problem on El Capitan with Font Management (aka ΩΩΩ)

Discuss third-party XTensions® software for QuarkXPress 2015 and QuarkXPress 2016.
As the API hasn't changed between 2015 & 2016 versions, most XTension running in QuarkXPress 2015 should also work in QuarkXPress 2016.

Another problem on El Capitan with Font Management (aka ΩΩΩ)

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Nov 2015, 14:11

Hi all,

after the issues with Suitcase on El Capitan and QuarkXPress 2015 (crash on quit) we now know of an issue with Font Explorer on El Capitan and QuarkXPress 2015. Extensis is working on a fix. It seems that El Capitan has changed some fundamentals.

To be specific, here's how our current investigation shows that the issue manifests:
If you use Font Explorer and activate Type-1 fonts that are not in OS X's System font folders, then the text set in such fonts may render junk (e.g showing as ΩΩΩ characters) within QuarkXPress 2015 (11.2). It does not happen with OpenType or TrueType fonts, only with Type-1 fonts. The issue might be fixable by Font Explorer and they are investigating it.

As written above, both issues, the one with Font Explorer and with Suitcase, only happen on El Capitan. On Yosemite or below everything works fine.

We'll let you all know once this is resolved.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Another problem on El Capitan with Font Management Softw

Postby PeteGurt » 04 Nov 2015, 15:03

yes had this same problem with Type 1 fonts being rendered as junk. I had to move the folder that stores all my fonts to Hardrive/Users/Username(house icon). I created a folder in Username and called it FontExplorer Fonts, moved all my fonts to that folder and then reloaded them in FontExplorer. No more problems.
PeteGurt

Re: Another problem on El Capitan with Font Management (aka

Postby tilmanlo » 20 Feb 2016, 09:10

Had the same problem. My fonts have been in "for all users" folder. Font Explorer can zip all your fonts and prefs to move them to another place. Very helpful while moving all fonts into a folder in my user account …
The problem occurs with very old (25 years?) type 1 fonts, only.
tilmanlo

Re: Another problem on El Capitan with Font Management Softw

Postby acalvet » 25 Feb 2016, 04:04

PeteGurt wrote:yes had this same problem with Type 1 fonts being rendered as junk. I had to move the folder that stores all my fonts to Hardrive/Users/Username(house icon). I created a folder in Username and called it FontExplorer Fonts, moved all my fonts to that folder and then reloaded them in FontExplorer. No more problems.

Hi PeteGurt, so if the "folder that stores all my font" is already a subfolder of my home folder (say: Hardrive/Users/MyHomeFolder/MyAllFontsFolder), I should not have any problem with Type1 fonts after upgrading to El Capitan? Are you using the most recent version of FontExplorer (as today 5.0.2)? Thanks
acalvet

Location: somewhere between Florence and Pisa, Tuscany, Italy

Return to QuarkXPress 2015/2016: XTensions modules for QuarkXPress