ID2Q and Badia idml import

Discuss third-party XTensions® software for QuarkXPress 2015 and QuarkXPress 2016.
As the API hasn't changed between 2015 & 2016 versions, most XTension running in QuarkXPress 2015 should also work in QuarkXPress 2016.

ID2Q and Badia idml import

Postby piperh » 22 Aug 2016, 15:28

Hi. I need to work on InDesign documents. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using either the Badia or Markzware extensions for importing/converting into Quark 2015. I work on a 2011MacBook Pro with the latest ElCapitan.

Badia has a free trial which so far crashes Quark, so that's not very promising at the moment (though it may be solvable). Markzware don't seem to offer a trial version and as it's quite expensive I'm hoping someone can share experience before I commit. In particular I'm wondering about the quality and viability of converted documents and if positioning, styles etc are reliable.

Thanks
piperh

Re: ID2Q and Badia idml import

Postby MikeWenzloff » 22 Aug 2016, 21:04

I use ID2Q and have been happy with it. I run on Windows and so I cannot try Badia's solution.

The conversion can depend on the construction of the ID file as to how well it will produce a Q file. For me, it has ranged from OK to really good. Even with the files that have only been OK, it saved a lot of work.

I believe you can send Markzware a sample ID file (with assets if needed) and they will do a conversion for you. If I recall, it is a limited conversion (X number of pages or something like that). I would recommend contacting them.

For a couple brochures/pamphlets I was handed that were originally done in ID, I tried the new feature in QXP 2016 for converting to Native Objects and that worked really well on them.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby piperh » 23 Aug 2016, 05:31

Thanks Mike for the info.

I suppose an option would be to upgrade to 2016 and use the Paste as Native Object. ID2Q costs 200€ and a Quark upgrade would cost 400€. I wonder, though, if I would have to paste everything page by page, which would be quite tedious. Also, the text in the InDesign doc is all linked from beginning to end so maybe that would be a problem for Paste as Native Object?

I'll see if your suggestion of a test sample conversion from Markzware is possible before I decide which way to go.

Peter

PS: with the really prompt help of support at Badia it turned out that I could prevent the crash by deactivating Import Style Sheets. The resulting Quark document wasn't bad but would still have required quite a few hours repair work.
piperh

Postby MikeWenzloff » 23 Aug 2016, 07:25

You're welcome.

There is a new PDF import XTension that works a treat--$20 for the Pro version (which is what I have and you would need). It will import a multipage PDF and create as many pages as needed and, optionally, convert to native objects.

I have used this plug-in myself and it does work well (and the price is very nice). Typical issues that can affect this would be some transparencies would need to be redone if there is not a 1:1 corresponding transparency type in Q versus ID, that sort of thing.

Its announcement thread is here on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28658

The web site is also listed in that thread, but is here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28658

Then if there are threaded frames needed--which a PDF has no concept of--one can use Linkster to thread the frames.

All in all, I don't think there is the possibility of a perfect import using any plug-in. Heck, I've opened ID work done in CS4 and earlier in later versions of ID and needed to fix things!
MikeWenzloff

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Aug 2016, 08:51

Hi piperh,

if you own QuarkXPress 2015 then the upgrade to QuarkXPress 2016 is €199 net.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby piperh » 23 Aug 2016, 10:22

Thank you Matthias for the correction.

In that case, as the price is almost the same, it might make more sense at the moment to upgrade 2015 to 2016 and buy the pdf Importer Pro version with a view to using Convert to Native Object. I notice there's a free trial Quark 2016 . . .

Thanks again Mike - your input has been really helpful
piperh

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 Aug 2016, 10:32

Yes, Mike is always very helpful, here and in our Facebook Group, so thank you Mike from my side too.

Hi piperh,

yes, there's a test drive of QX2016, 3 days when you download and 30 days when you fill out the request form.

And if you look for the hidden code here then you'll save another 10% on the upgrade until Aug 31:
https://youtu.be/e8VTK136Dgg?list=PLXed ... mzh52Lqy2M

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 2015/2016: XTensions modules for QuarkXPress