Centering html pages in browsers ?

Ask questions about creating HTML5 Publications (fixed or responsive) using QuarkXPress 2016 and 2017. HTML5 Publications allow you to create online publications with near-WYSIWYG typography and design and app-like interactivity – at no extra cost.

Centering html pages in browsers ?

Postby laurent32 » 09 Oct 2016, 06:18

Hi all, i might be a little dumb but i cannot figure out how to do a very very very simple thing (???)… i searched everywhere but i can't find a clear answer… please do help ! I am discovering quark's ability to export html page (that's great news…) but i am very frustrated not being able to "just" CENTER my web page in my browser… I thought it would be obvious but i am stuck !! Can anyone help with VERY simple words because i know nothing about coding… but i can try to learn a little !

Thanks for your answers, a french user of Xpress 2016 (just upgraded to 2016)

Laurent
laurent32

Re: Centering html pages in browsers ?

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 10 Oct 2016, 02:53

Hi Laurent,

how are you exporting HTML5, using the Export as HTML5 Publications? And they don't center?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby laurent32 » 10 Oct 2016, 04:45

Hi Matthias,

Yes, i use the export as html function.

Let me explain a little… From what i have understood, when i use this function, it create a folder with all the necessary stuff inside. In fact it create maybe more than i need because i discovered it included a "quark reader". At first i didn't understood what was happening : clicking index.html i thought i would just have my html page. But know i get it : it opens "quark html reader" which opens my html page (or pages…), it's not the same… So i tried to find my files and it was easy, they were in the html5output folder. Nice, but a little confusing…

One little thing i would like to say here (leading to a question also) : the reader is nice but i would rather have my logo than quark's logo showing up… I love Quark but i also love my company… You know… Is it possible to automatically change that logo (within the export process) ?

Anyway, i won't use the reader all the time, i will mostly use the html5output folder… Why ? because i don't know if i could use the reader within a page of my website. I do plenty of things with my computers since more than 30 years but it is all empiric… i try things, i read a lot, i ask for help… you know… i'm far from being a computer engineer but i progress all the time… Right now i know PHP, JS, CSS, etc, etc, etc… exist, but hey, there are only 24h in a day and i have other things to do, for example : earn money right now, not when i will be aware of all that computer stuff changing all the time, what a business ! So… For me, it all got to be simple else i give up the project because i don't have enough money to pay someone to do it for me… This is why i might not use your nice reader because i might have to spend too much time (i don't know ?) integrating it with my website which i try to manage by myself (step by step).

Concerning the html5output folder and the html file stored there, it is perfect except one very annoying thing : the html page is not centered when we open it in a browser… I searched for a "center html page" button in Xpress 2016 with no luck… would have been too easy… Since i know nothing about "coding", i am stuck here. I know that subject has been treated in the past but it is still a problem for me today. I think left aligned html page are ugly ! Right now, I'd like to create html pages with my wonderfull Xpress 2016 and simply export them… AND, i would love to have them showing up in browser : just centered !!

Thanks for sharing my thoughts and wishes…

Laurent

PS : Since Xpress 2015, Quark is doing an excellent work !!! I'm a user since 2.11 (if i can remember) : that makes years !!!
laurent32

Postby laurent32 » 15 Nov 2016, 10:16

Hi again… last time i came back to the forum i had a kind answer but now it has gone ? So, i'm still trying to find out how to center my pages the easiest way ??? Still looking for help… Thanks…
laurent32

Postby jcsiegrist » 15 Dec 2016, 12:11

Hi,

When exporting to html5 centers automatically the content.

Eventually, place .page {margin: 0 auto; position: relative; width: 920px} for example at the beginning of your CSS file.

Jean-Claude
jcsiegrist

Return to HTML5 Publications – from scratch and convert from Print