HTML5 publishing

Ask questions about creating HTML5 Publications (fixed or responsive) using QuarkXPress 2016 and 2017. HTML5 Publications allow you to create online publications with near-WYSIWYG typography and design and app-like interactivity – at no extra cost.

HTML5 publishing

Postby saratogacoach » 27 Jan 2017, 12:23

Hi,

New to QuarkXPress 2016, I am testing HTML5 publishing with a small test item of 5 pages. Publish to HTML5, upload to my site (Windows hosted server), run the index.html and the package won't display. Error message on blank web page: Invalid Configuration-Aborting boot. This happens whether I use latest Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers. I had previewed the same package on my Windows 10 desktop, and it ran perfectly.

Read on this forum about removing a line of script (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>) from the HTML files in html5output, which another person found helpful, but in my case no success with this.

So, not sure what else to try. I wonder if there is some Web app configuration in the reader-config.json file that I could change/add/fix to get the published HTML5 to display on the site?

Any suggestions appreciated.
saratogacoach

Re: HTML5 publishing

Postby saratogacoach » 27 Jan 2017, 22:41

Also checked using Chrome. Did not display, same problem: invalid configuration.

Here's Chrome log:

http://xyz.com/favicon.ico Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
http://xyz.com/HTML5export/webreader/on ... 5574523000 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
http://xyz.com/HTML5export/reader-confi ... 5574524193 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
bootstrap.js:1 Uncaught Error: Not Found
at a (bootstrap.js:1)
at Object.error (bootstrap.js:1)
at l (jquery.min.js:2)
at Object.fireWith [as rejectWith] (jquery.min.js:2)
at T (jquery.min.js:2)
at XMLHttpRequest.r (jquery.min.js:2)
VM37 extensions::schemaUtils:112 Uncaught Error: Invocation of form runtime.connect(null, ) doesn't match definition runtime.connect(optional string extensionId, optional object connectInfo)
at Object.normalizeArgumentsAndValidate (VM37 extensions::schemaUtils:112)
at Object.<anonymous> (VM32 extensions::binding:411)
at Object.<anonymous> (VM31 extensions::runtime:129)
at Object.handleRequest (VM32 extensions::binding:63)
at Object.<anonymous> (VM32 extensions::binding:422)
at i (toolbar.js:1)
at aZ (toolbar.js:1)
at window.onresize (toolbar.js:1)
saratogacoach

Postby max.peter » 28 Jan 2017, 03:25

This seems to be a server problem, not one of QuarkXPress. You could talk to the administrator of the server.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby saratogacoach » 28 Jan 2017, 16:28

Thank you.

Any idea of what I should try to ask them to do? The hosting support is limited so if I can point them in the right direction, may help.

BTW, this shared hosting is Windows server IIS 7, classic configuration. (I could change from classic to integrated configuration in the IIS control panel, but have little other control.)
saratogacoach

Postby saratogacoach » 30 Jan 2017, 08:38

Still not working: Invalid Configuration-Aborting boot banner displays when trying to run the package on website. Did have long troubleshooting conversation with shared hosting provider (GoDaddy) technical support and they tried upgrading the PHP, DOT.NET, but no success getting the QuarkXPress 2016 exported HTML5 package to run. Did notice that there is a zip folder in the package (user-content>demo-banner.zip) and wondered if a zip folder was preventing loading of package assets? Also, provider mentioned that Invalid Configuration-Aborting boot banner is not from them: not their message, but may be error message generated by QuarkXPress exported package.

Not sure what else to try. HTML5 export package will not run (using FF, IE, Chrome) on this Windows server website, but runs OK on the desktop in preview mode.

Any help appreciated.
saratogacoach

Postby Smdhingra » 30 Jan 2017, 10:58

From the error codes, it looks to be a problem with loading json file on your site. please check and request your web hosting provider to add json extension in mime type and handler mappings in IIS windows server. By default this extension is not enabled in IIS7 and you need to make this mapping manually.

For your site, click MIME Types- enter .json for file name extension & application/json for MIME type.

Also, if you could share the URL of your publication for further check pl.

Just to reconfirm-by runs ok on desktop preview you mean previewing Html5 publication from within Quarkxpress? It runs on the inbuilt node server for preview
Smdhingra

Postby saratogacoach » 30 Jan 2017, 11:22

Thank you for these suggestions.

I manually entered
Code: Select all
<staticContent>
<mimeMap fileExtension=".json" mimeType="application/json"/>
</staticContent>

to the site's web configuration file (and recycled the app pool), but no success. Still getting Invalid Configuration-Aborting boot.

Here is the URL: https://elearningprojects.com/HTML5export/index.html

Yes, runs OK when previewed from within QuarkXPress 2016. And, also runs OK in my default desktop browser, FF, if I navigate to the exported files on my desktop and click on index.html in the package.
saratogacoach

Postby Smdhingra » 31 Jan 2017, 02:56

The errors still show File Not Found for online-poller.json and reader-config.json indicating the webserver is not able to load these files. I'm able to view html pages and thumbnail assets of Project6exp via the webserver but not any of the json files.
https://elearningprojects.com/HTML5expo ... onfig.json

please check the web.config should be in the root directory of your website ie where the html5 publication is deployed. It should look something like this
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<system.webServer>
<staticContent>
<mimeMap fileExtension=".json" mimeType="application/json" />
</staticContent>
</system.webServer>
</configuration>

This is a server deployment issue, may be you can just cross check with GoDaddy for enabling json mimetype.
Smdhingra

Postby saratogacoach » 31 Jan 2017, 07:38

Thank you again for your help.

Success! I rewrote a basic new web.Config with the .json mime type, uploaded to my site, and the QuarkXPress 2016 HTML5 export works perfectly, looks great!. :)

Best Wishes
saratogacoach

Return to HTML5 Publications – from scratch and convert from Print