Importing PDF for HTML5 publishing

Ask questions about creating HTML5 Publications (fixed or responsive) using QuarkXPress 2016 and 2017. HTML5 Publications allow you to create online publications with near-WYSIWYG typography and design and app-like interactivity – at no extra cost.

Importing PDF for HTML5 publishing

Postby saratogacoach » 02 Feb 2017, 06:49

A beginner using QuarkXPress 2016, I am learning how to import a PDF with text and images into a new project that will be published to HTML5. The import is brought into QuarkXPress as Quark objects. Some of these text objects are small, for example a few lines. So this creates multiple text objects on a single page. I don't think that these flow, so making text additions would be challenging.

If possible, I would prefer that all the text for an imported PDF's chapter (one to several pages) would come into Quark as a flowable text object for each page, and flowing to the next page (s) until the next chapter heading (a heading is the way that I used in the original source to start a new chapter).

Is there any way to import as described? Or would I need to start over, cut and paste text, images into flowable text in Quark, spearate new chapters by the Header at the beginning of each chapter?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
saratogacoach

Re: Importing PDF for HTML5 publishing

Postby saratogacoach » 02 Feb 2017, 10:03

Update:

Tried using Link tool to link multiple text boxes to create a flow, but message displays saying can not be done between text boxes that already have text in them.
saratogacoach

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 02 Feb 2017, 10:46

Hi Sara,

you can use "Utilities > Linkster" to link textboxes that have content in them.

We understand your use case. Currently we try to replicate the PDF as exact as possible. Unfortunately some PDF creation tools create multiple text boxes in the PDF. PowerPoint is a good example how this happens.

Maybe in future we merge boxes automatically, giving you one story and having less precision.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby saratogacoach » 02 Feb 2017, 11:36

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for these suggestions, which I can try out.

However, I may decide to redo the project by cutting/pasting text and images into a new project, instead of importing. This way, I can create a "clean" format, link and flow where needed.

Wonderful features, great publishing. :)
saratogacoach

Return to HTML5 Publications – from scratch and convert from Print