Image Insertion in Text Flow

Ask questions about creating HTML5 Publications using QuarkXPress 2016. HTML5 Publications allow you to create online publications with near-WYSIWYG typography and design and app-like interactivity – at no extra cost.

Image Insertion in Text Flow

Postby saratogacoach » 03 Feb 2017, 08:21

Must be doing something wrong because so far unable to insert a picture image (JPEG, PNG, etc.) into a text flow and keep it anchored so that when new text/paragraph is added above the image location, the image and text below it flows downward.

If I keep the image's runaround, the text will advance and wrap around the image, as it should, but if I turn off runaround using modify ("none"), then the text when added simply goes under (or if I change layers) or over (on top of) the image.

Would appreciate any suggestions, leads, instructions to place an image in a text flow and, even if new text added, maintain its location in the text flow.

Thank you for your help.
saratogacoach

Re: Image Insertion in Text Flow

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Feb 2017, 08:33

Hi Sara,

you need to define runaround. Are you pasting the box into the text chain? Where does it go wrong then?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby saratogacoach » 03 Feb 2017, 09:00

Hi Matthias,

I am taking a text box with flow, creating a space large enough for a picture as an illustration, using a text insertion point to place the picture box in the center of the space created. Would like the placed picture box to move with the text if new text is added, so that the picture's location always stays in the same location relative to the text that it was associated with.

If runaround is by default turned on, new text when added above the picture box will move and wrap around the picture box. If turned off (none), no wrap but text moves over or under the picture (if I am recalling when I experimented with this correctly).

Would like the picture box to be anchored in the text flow, so that when new text is added and the entire flow moves down the page, the picture box stays in the stay position relative to the text that it is illustrating (moves along with the text).
Last edited by saratogacoach on 03 Feb 2017, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
saratogacoach

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 03 Feb 2017, 09:02

Here's how you do it:
1. Create a picture box.
2. Cut it (the box, not the image).
3. Place the text cursor into the textbox where you want it to be. No need to create space for it.
4. Paste it.
5. Select the picture box in the text box and adjust how it should align (in measurement palette).

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby saratogacoach » 03 Feb 2017, 09:08

OK, our posts must have crossed in cyberspace. :)

I had tried the instructions that you suggested. What occurs when I paste back the cut picture is that even if I place the insertion point correctly where I want it to be, the pasted back picture (absent any picture box) is not at the insertion point but seems to occupy its own page above the insertion point text.

But, I can try again, follow the instructions more precisely (I only did the pasting), especially: 5. Select the picture box in the text box and adjust how it should align (in measurement palette).

Thank you.
saratogacoach

Postby saratogacoach » 03 Feb 2017, 10:24

Update:

Thank you, Matthias.

Followed your instructions and got it to work. What I had been doing wrong: cutting the image not the box. So, "Cut it (the box, not the image)" was the critical item for me.

Success! :)
saratogacoach

Return to HTML5 Publications – from scratch and convert from Print