Problem with QuarkXPress 2016 Update

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Problem with QuarkXPress 2016 Update

Postby RickLewis » 08 Oct 2017, 11:28

Okay, I have QuarkXPress 2016 on my MacBook Pro, and today I downloaded the new update. As soon as the download finished, the screen of my MacBook went black. It would not wake up again. After trying everything to wake it, I pressed the power button for a few seconds. I think I heard a click as it turned off completely. Then I could not restart it. I cannot even launch it in safe mode. It seems completely dead.

Please advise urgently. I have never, ever, encountered a problem as bad as this with any update of any software.
RickLewis

Re: Problem with QuarkXPress 2016 Update

Postby RickLewis » 08 Oct 2017, 12:00

After giving my MacBook Pro a lengthy rest of about 10 minutes, I tried restarting it again. This time it has started! (Phew!). It restarted very slowly, but it seems okay now.

There is no trace of the QuarkXpress 12.2.3 update though - it is still running 12.2.2. It is as if the download never happened.

I won't be trying again to install this update. That was just scary!

Incidentally, ever since the previous QuarkXpress update, the Janson font on my MacBook has not worked properly. It looks fine on screen, but if I print the document out it looks like rubbish. The other fonts are okay.
RickLewis

Postby shaun » 09 Oct 2017, 02:43

Re: Janson font
Try Font Nuke (or similar) to clear the font cache (requires restart). That might sort it.
shaun

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 09 Oct 2017, 02:45

Hi Rick,

though the two things – installation of QuarkXPress and issues with your Mac – coincides, that's nothing QuarkXPress can cause. It only writes to the Application folder and to Apple-approved locations (like Library or Application Support).

Please check your mac using EtreCheck and Oynx to make sure that nothing is wrong with your installation of macOS. And only afterwards install QuarkXPress.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby RickLewis » 11 Oct 2017, 15:40

Matthias - thanks, I will. Is there any reason that my Mac would attempt to restart after I updated QuarkXpress?
RickLewis

Postby RickLewis » 11 Oct 2017, 16:01

shaun wrote:Re: Janson font
Try Font Nuke (or similar) to clear the font cache (requires restart). That might sort it.

Thank Shaun. I did try Font Nuke, and it didn't help. Reinstalling that font from another computer didn't help either.

What I said before was, however, slightly wrong. The problem didn't manifest itself last time I updated Quark. Rather, it appeared when OS itself updated, to 10.12.6. However, the font problem only shows up in Quark. I can use Janson in Word docs or any other application, and print, and they look as they should.

For this reason, and because losing the ability to print in Janson from Quark is a big problem for me, I didn't update the OS on the other Quark-installed Mac in my office. I ignored all prompts to update the OS and banned anyone else for letting it update. However, this morning when I started the other Mac it updated to 10.12.6 without being asked, and without letting me interrupt the update (I'm not sure how). When the OS update completed, I nervously loaded Quark and tried to print a document that had Janson in it. Sure enough, it showed the exact same problem I've had on my MacBook.

So I can at least say that the combination of a Mac running OS 10.12.6 with QuarkXPress 2016 version 12.2.2 with the Janson font is a problem. The font looks okay on screen. You can still generate PDFs from the Quark file without problems. But if you try to print from the Quark file to any printer (we have two) then you get an unusable result. As this is our magazine's main font, this is a big problem and any advice would be most welcome.
RickLewis

Postby RickLewis » 11 Oct 2017, 17:38

I've solved my font problem by buying a new set of Janson fonts. Maybe the ones I had before were just too old to cope. Anyway, the new ones work okay.
RickLewis

Return to QuarkXPress 2016: General